Connecting to an outside VPN

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Connecting to an outside VPN

Postby bigfoot65 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:17 am

Ok, guess I am confused.

My only recommendation is you check the Amahi wiki for guidance. You might also check the internet for generic Linux server guidance.

I am sorry I cannot be of much assistance.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

zenzan007

Postby zenzan007 » Thu May 21, 2015 5:10 am

Hi All,

I've managed to setup a VPN where my Amahi server is the Client and it connects to an external server.

In a nutshell, I did this via the network manager GUI in Fedora 19 Schrodingers Cat.
You'll have to install the openvpn ability in fedora so that when you add a VPN open VPN is an option.

To get it to auto start is another huge fight. Essentially I exported the VPN config I used in network manager. Then mimicked how the Amahi VPN is setup. Commands that gave me some clues were systemctl status openvpn@amahi.service

Look into how you add something as a autostart service. you'll need to make a .conf file or two, the second one would be for the username and password. Check out Amahi.conf in the openvpn folder.

You'll also have to make a service file.

So I've managed to get it all up and running. The service starts and connects automatically but once it's up and running the trouble starts. I no longer can access my server or the internet.

If anyone has any advice on how I can access my server when it's connecting out over a vpn it would be much appreciated.
Perhaps theres a way of bridging the vpn to eth0? Or have a 2nd Lan connection? Or maybe I can do something in my router?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

If anyone has questions about how I set up my server as a VPN client I'd be happy to answer any questions I may know the answer to.

Many thanks in advance.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Fri May 22, 2015 9:57 am

Did you check out OpenVPN bridging guidance in the wiki?
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2