Easy way to set Amahi's DNS (in resolv.conf) to other server

PatrickDickey

Easy way to set Amahi's DNS (in resolv.conf) to other server

Postby PatrickDickey » Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:09 pm

Hi everyone,

So here's the deal. Like a few others, I was having issues with the Amahi DNS (dnsmasq in Amahi 7) causing timeouts and other issues. Plus at the time, my computer was crashing due to an unrelated issue. So I set up an alternative DHCP/DNS server, which everyone is using now. The problem is, if I have dnsmasq enabled on Amahi, it tries to push it's DHCP addresses out to everyone. And if I have it disabled, the server can't reach the Internet (unless I manually change /etc/resolv.conf).

I've been changing /etc/resolv.conf, but whenever I reboot it, hda-ctl changes it back. So my questions are these:

1. How do I permanently set my /etc/resolv.conf to point to the correct DNS server for my lan?
2. How do I disable the DHCP in dnsmasq (if I can't point to my other one), so I can have the DNS server running on Amahi also?

Also I should note that as far as the apps and other things that might be affected by disabling Amahi's DNS, I fixed that by adding the information from the configuration files to the new DNS server.

Have a great day.:)
Patrick.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Easy way to set Amahi's DNS (in resolv.conf) to other se

Postby bigfoot65 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:42 pm

1. How do I permanently set my /etc/resolv.conf to point to the correct DNS server for my lan?
So why not set it using the dashboard to point to your DNS server?
https://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Changi ... S_provider
2. How do I disable the DHCP in dnsmasq (if I can't point to my other one), so I can have the DNS server running on Amahi also?
Use the dashboard to disable the DHCP server.
https://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Turning_off_DHCP

It's best not to try and modify things manually. If these don't work for you, please let us know and we can offer other suggestions.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2