Troubleshooting internet connectivity issues

bellamatt

Troubleshooting internet connectivity issues

Postby bellamatt » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:34 pm

Hi guys, thought I'd seek some expert guidance on where to look to do some troubleshooting on my HDA. A few weeks ago I got a new router (Asus RT-AC68u) but since then I've been having some intermittent dropouts. Everything works fine most of the time (passing everything on the Amahi interactive troubleshooter) but then will suddenly drop connection (both intra- and internet) for like 10 seconds. It seems to affect both wired and wireless connections. I'm having trouble diagnosing what could be wrong with my setup - should I be focussing on the router only, or is there a possibility that there is a conflict of some sort between my Amahi DHCP and router? Have tried googling but havent had much luck on how to actually narrow down the problem. I've tried the old reboot everything and start up one at a time, am still waiting to see if that has had any impact. Thoughts?

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Troubleshooting internet connectivity issues

Postby bigfoot65 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:37 pm

Sounds like a router issue. I presume you are using the same subnet for your network as with the previous one.

I have one that did that too and it ended up being it was getting too hot. Had to give it some leg extensions to increase air flow for cooling.

Have you checked the manufacturers web site for help? Chances are this is a know problem if it is indeed the router.

UPDATE: I did read on one web site that channel selection can make a difference in signal strength and connection drops.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

bellamatt

Postby bellamatt » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:20 pm

Thanks for looking bigfoot. Pretty sure it is the router - confirmed by turning off Amahi DHCP and using the router only, still had connection problems. Dropouts are affecting wired and wireless, it's almost as though the router just gives up every now and then! Have looked on the Asus and smallnetbuilder website, seem to be a lot of problems around router resets but my uptime is fine. Have sent in a service request to Asus, will see what happens!

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:24 am

Hope you get prompt service and it's a simple fix.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2