Samba woes

modem7

Samba woes

Postby modem7 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:11 am

Hey guys,

I'm currently running Windows 7, and Amahi Fedora.

When I transfer things to and from Samba (e.g. download share to Movies share), I get awful speeds (30mb/s).

If I transfer things from my shares to a USB drive, it blisters at around 80mb/s or so.

Any ideas what could be happening? Almost seems as if it's copying to my PC, then transferring to the share (even though both shares are on the server).

Thanks!

Edit (further information):

When I transfer share to share, my upload and download utilisation are the same (so ~30mb/s). When I transfer to my PC or USB drive, only the download is active (~60-80mb on usb drive)

Azaron

Re: Samba woes

Postby Azaron » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:02 pm

I am not sure if I understand you right.
Do you start the copy from your Windows Machine where both shares are bound as network-folders?

If this is the case, of course Windows will pull the data from the first share to the local RAM and then forward it to the 2nd share.
Windows is not knowing that both are on the same machine in this case...

If you copy from one share to another on the fedora machine, why don't you do it insinde the machine itself where it would take less then a second, if on the same drive.

In case i missunderstood your question - please explain further your problem.

cpg
Administrator

Postby cpg » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:22 pm

It depends on your network setup, your motherboard, etc.

I believe transferring from the same share to a separate folder is fast and does not send the files across the wire. I think copying share to share SAMBA does send the file across the wire instead of doing it locally, which means you need double the bandwidth, e.g. if you are using the same drive.
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1

modem7

Postby modem7 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:40 pm

Damn.

Here I was hoping that I could be a bit lazier.

Basically doing it so that I could save a bit of time instead of logging on via VNC.

Poop.

Ah well, just as I suspected. Thanks guys!

cpg
Administrator

Postby cpg » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:39 pm

FWIW, I asked in the Samba community and I got this from a user:
As I understand it, the smb 2.x protocol does transfer across the client, however, they are in the works with the smb 3.x protocol to handle this all on server side (this MAY already be working, I am just not 100% sure)
[...] most clients (windows xp, windows 7) use the smb 2.x protocol
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1

modem7

Postby modem7 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:24 am

Oooooh.........now that would be lovely!

snakey147

Postby snakey147 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:10 am

I think you need to be careful copying stuff locally on the server if you're using Greyhole, as the GH service monitors the Samba shares for changes.

If I need to copy or move things between shares on the server I use SSH and copy them from/to the /mnt/samba folder to be safe.
HP Proliant Microserver running ESXi 5.0 with Amahi 6.2 on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS.