DHCP Leases Not Showing on Dash, DNS Issues

ksburgess

DHCP Leases Not Showing on Dash, DNS Issues

Postby ksburgess » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:25 pm

I set up a new HDA today via Ubuntu 12.04

It is assigning my clients DHCP leases, but they do not show up on the dashboard. Clients can browse the internet just fine.

Something with DNS is not working properly, and maybe this is related to the DHCP problem... I can navigate (from a client) to an app, for instance phpsysadmin.home.com

I cannot navigate to something on another computer on the network, for instance clientcomputer.home.com/test.html

I was able to do this with my Fedora-based HDA (which is now turned off), so I'm unsure of what's wrong.

I walked through the network troubleshooter and my HDA and client passed all checks.

My HDA is showing as Platform: 6.2.0, which is the latest version for Ubuntu I think? But the DHCP leases are still not showing.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: DHCP Leases Not Showing on Dash, DNS Issues

Postby bigfoot65 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:11 pm

The DHCP leases not showing is a known problem. We hope to resolve it soon. As a work around, you can do the following:

Code: Select all

sudo mkdir /var/lib/dhcp3 sudo ln -s /var/lib/dhcp/dhcpd.leases /var/lib/dhcp3/dhcpd.leases
As for your other issue, ensure your client is receiving the DHCP and DNS from the HDA.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

ksburgess

Postby ksburgess » Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:30 am

The DHCP leases not showing is a known problem. We hope to resolve it soon. As a work around, you can do the following:

sudo mkdir /var/lib/dhcp3 sudo ln -s /var/lib/dhcp/dhcpd.leases /var/lib/dhcp3/dhcpd.leases
As for your other issue, ensure your client is receiving the DHCP and DNS from the HDA.
Thanks, the DHCP workaround has the DHCP leases now displaying on my dashboard and they seem to show up in realtime just fine.

I should have made clear that I made sure all clients were receiving DHCP and DNS from the HDA.

This morning I fired up a virtual machine running a LAMP server and I can navigate to it via its friendly name - virtualbox.home.com/test.html

I still can't get to a Windows computer running a WAMP server via its friendly, though - windowsclient.home.com/projects/test.html. I *can* get to it via ip - 192.168.0.104/projects/test.html, so the WAMP server seems to be running properly.

I'm not sure why the network computers can't see files on it via friendly name, but can see the virtual client's files, any suggestions?

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:59 am

Not sure if I understand what you are doing, but here it goes.

If you are running multiple servers, the HDA has to be the DHCP and DNS for your entire network. Is it possible your WAMP server is not getting its DNS from the HDA?
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

ksburgess

Postby ksburgess » Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:17 am

This is possible... I'll look into how a WAMP server receives DNS to try and figure that out. The client computer with the WAMP server is definitely reporting it's getting DNS from the HDA correctly.

The reason for the multiple servers is essentially legacy... I run websites for a living and have used an Ubuntu LAMP server for a long time. My husband occasionally helps me and uses a WAMP server on his computer to run a webapp he custom-built to quickly put together html emails for my mailing lists.

I'm actually thinking I may try and move the things I have hosted on the LAMP over to webapps on the HDA since I'm using it as the central server for everything else work-related I do at this point. I just wanted to wait until I rebuilt the HDA on Ubuntu.

But when my hubby does up a newsletter for me and sends me a link to preview it to make sure it looks good, he usually sends me the friendly address (ie hubbypc.home.com/projects/current-newsletter.html) and that's the one that's not working, so I'm trying to figure out why it appears not to work.

I don't understand much about the inner-workings of DNS so I wasn't really even sure where to start troubleshooting.

ksburgess

Postby ksburgess » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:47 am

Well I got it the DNS resolving fixed. I released and renewed the ip on that client computer and now it's working... it took that even after a reboot (maybe that's normal, I don't know)... but anyways, I can now navigate to files using that client's domain name rather than just ip address :)

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:35 am

Good to hear. Should have thought to suggest that solution. 99% of the time, when DNS is not resolving it is the client that needs refreshed.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

aljachimiak

Postby aljachimiak » Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:02 pm

Just wanted to say this works!

Thanks Bigfoot!

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:16 pm

No problem. We also released a patch to the platform that corrects the DHCP list issue.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager