Amahi and external VPN

thomasps

Amahi and external VPN

Postby thomasps » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:02 pm

I have been using Amahi VPN capabilities for a while now (with OpenVPN first and the IPsec app now). Lately, I have been considering more and more an external/commercial VPN. There are several articles on Lifehacker here and here. However, I'm unsure how that would play with my Amahi setup.
Specifically:
-Is it possible to setup Amahi so that all traffic from its network goes through this commercial VPN? As if the VPN was setup at the router level.
-Would it interfere with Amahi's own VPN? Would Amahi's own VPN even be needed?

Admittedly, I am a bit confused on this topic and would like to understand more how it could/ could not work.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Amahi and external VPN

Postby bigfoot65 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:43 am

Hard to say if there would be conflict. You could disable Amahi's VPN if you choose to use the commercial solution.

For Fedora, it's a matter of stopping the service and preventing it from starting on boot via the dashboard. For Ubuntu, uninstall the OpenVPN app.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

gjc1000
Pro User
Pro User

Postby gjc1000 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:43 pm

I'm a current Fedora 14 Amahi user, been for sometime, and have been wanting to switch over to Amahi Ubuntu. Also, I have been strongly considering signing up with a VPN service provider. This one in particular http://wiki.hidemyass.com/FAQ, it seems to have better linux support then others. I would like to clean install Ubuntu and set up the service at the same time.
Admittedly, I am a bit confused on this topic and would like to understand more how it could/ could not work.
Me too.
I have the same general questions as thomasps, what are the potential conflicts with Amahi and where would I set it up, on the router or on the server? I am looking to have all the computers and devices on my home network be connected through the VPN service provider.
My router is DD-wrt compatible and I can install OpenVPN on the router itself which would make my whole internal network relatively invisible to the world. The VPN provider supplies dynamic IP address to the router, but since my router doesn't handle the dchp/dns services, Amahi does, I'm not sure if that is the route to go.
gjc1000
Chi pecora si fa, il lupo se la mangia.

gjc1000
Pro User
Pro User

Postby gjc1000 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:55 pm

sorry I hit the "submit button" instead of the "Preview button" before I finished my post. lol

In a nutshell, My question is this:
If I go the DD-wrt way and install OpenVPN on the router and not in Ubuntu, will I conflict with the Amahi dchp/dns servers or if I install OpenVPN on Ubuntu and not on the router, will all the computers and devices get there IP address from the VPN service provide?

Any insight on this would be helpful. I will be posting these questions to the providers forums as well. http://forum.hidemyass.com/index.php/fo ... eral-talk/

Thanks in advance.
gjc1000
Chi pecora si fa, il lupo se la mangia.

spcano01

Postby spcano01 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:21 pm

I'm interested in this too...It seems simple enough, make all traffic from the HDA go through a 3rd party VPN like Hidymyass or StrongVPN.

I'm a complete newbie at linux, so I'm hoping a guru can assist here. Can't seem to use teh dashboard, so I assume I'll need access to the desktop/terminal.