Amahi dchp can't use

romorio

Amahi dchp can't use

Postby romorio » Sat May 16, 2009 10:08 am

Hello,

i just installed the Amahi server , in the documentation there is the note turn the dhcp server off from your router.

I have two problems with this note: 1 my hda is not always on everyday that means if i want to use a system for 10 min i have to configure this with a static if adress , i don't want to use static ip adresses .

2 i have an other application which is using dhcp , getting the info from my router, which can't be changed

Is it possible to turn off the dhcp server on the amahi server.

how can i do this?

maybe it is a good idea to make a switch on the installation menu where you can switch on/off the dhcp server.

regards rob

cpg
Administrator

Re: Amahi dchp can't use

Postby cpg » Tue May 19, 2009 11:50 pm

we are working on a feature for this.

however, could you file a "new issue" in the tracker at http://bugs.amahi.org to discuss (under platform)?

the general idea is to hook the turning on and off of the dhcp in the router when the hda goes up and down respectively.

please do and that way we capture it in one place also, knowing exactly what you had in mind also is very useful.

(i think we also communicated by email, if i am not mistaken, which is ok, but i rather do it in a trackable & open place like th tracker.)
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1

everestx

Re: Amahi dchp can't use

Postby everestx » Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:43 pm

I have a similar situation. My advise is to add something to your Login script, not rc.local (doesnt seem to work!) to kill the service.

While it may not be the "cleanest" method, I simply kill the service each time I boot with the below command. It is at times tedious, but I tend to leave my machine on for months on end, and shut down my other pc's since I use Amahi as frontend on my NAS.

"/etc/init.d/dhcpd stop"

On a side note, chances are you do not have your system set up to recieve DNS from amahi either (if your not using DHCP from it), which can cause issues with //hda, etc. I'd advise adding the amahi server as your secondary DNS server on the machines, or in my case I simply added it to my firewalls list of DNS servers, since the firewall is my primary DNS server.
Full time HDA: 2.5ghz Phenom Quad Core, 8gb DDR 800, Asus M3n-ht, PERC 6/i, Norco 4020