default domain

ciscoh

default domain

Postby ciscoh » Thu May 17, 2012 10:38 pm

i have seen several cases here in the forums where users are running into issues using the default home.com domain.

While i dont want to tell the Amahi devs how to do things, it does seem to be a bit problematic to have a setting for a "private" network default to something that is public.

i think changing it to use "home.local" or some other non-conflicting TLD would help eliminate these issues.

Also, in the theme of the HDA being a "managed server", maybe another service would be to allow someone to control their host files, forwarding DNS servers and other configuration items from the Amahi website would be a good feature.

I am not a beginner user but i see some value in being able to manage the "locked down" apps from a Amahi controlled interface.

Just some thoughts.....feel free to throw tomatoes and such

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: default domain

Postby bigfoot65 » Fri May 18, 2012 4:48 am

In my opinion, most of the reason users have issues is they have their own domain they want to use. While those are not the typical Amahi users, they still do represent a significant portion of the user base.

Why not put this in as a suggestion? If it already has been, then no reason to beat a dead horse.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

ciscoh

Re: default domain

Postby ciscoh » Fri May 18, 2012 6:48 am

there are a lot of posts where they are going to the internet for "home.com"

granted, my suggestion would not fix their particular issues but i think it would clear some of the muddy waters.