ping hda resolves to an address outside my network?

glenleslie

ping hda resolves to an address outside my network?

Postby glenleslie » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:30 pm

Greetings,

I have Amahi ujp and running with one small glitch. home.com, hda, calendar.home.com etc all resolve to an internet address external to my domain.

I have dhcp *disabled* on my amahi server for one specific reason: I want to allow my wireless router to do time, web site and key word web filtering by mac address. this seems to work if the router is the source of dhcp addresses.

so, dns and all other services reside on amahi and are configured. dns is configured for opendns.com. the wireless router has dns entries pointing to opendns.com.

NOTE: wireless router is configured with a hardcoded ip address given by my ISP. this is the address of my network which appears on opendns.com in my registration there. wireless router DNS entries point to openDNS nameservers - 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220

everything comes up. clients get dhcp addresses from the wireless router. domain suffix seems all rosie at the client side. clients have a gateway address of 192.168.1.1 which is the address of the wireless router/dhcp server.

the problem is ... name resolution of local names "hda", home.com, calendar.home.com all resolve to a single, external ip address 67.215.65.132. when you tracert from a win client to hda it goes from 192.168.1.1 -> 67.215.65.132 and then starts bopping all over the internet...

67.215.65.132 is an opendns server (hit-nxdomain.opendns.com [67.215.65.132])

suggestions?

Any idea where I've gone wrong in my config? Will it simply not work

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: ping hda resolves to an address outside my network?

Postby bigfoot65 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:12 am

Hello,

You need to ensure you point your DNS to the HDA IP, not openDNS. Maybe that is what you meant, but wanted to clarify.

Also, by not using the HDA for your DHCP it does present some additional challenges or changes per say. Recommend you take a look at the FAQ.

http://www.amahi.org/faq#is-dhcp-server-required

Might consider running the network troubleshooter to see if it provides any additional info

http://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Network_troubleshooting

Hope this helps.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

jsdraven

Postby jsdraven » Wed May 16, 2012 12:05 am

See there is no true DNS server I could find inside of Amahi. so when you try to use those domain names they actually exist in the web. OpenDNS is a global DNS service and doesnt have the option to add custom entries.

Now for the solution.
1) doing it right, but by no means easy. install an actual DNS server on the Amahi server or another on the network. Sorry I done have the time to explain the steps here nor could I recommend a good one to install. This will make it so with one config setup in one location all your computers will be on the same page and seeing the same results.

2) Simple but not best. Editing your host file in the computer you using to browse for the server. example
windows environment:
a)browse in explorer to C:\Windows\system32\driver\etc
I) if this is windows vista or windows 7 you will want to right click notepad and run as administrator. then choose to open a file and then browse to the above location.
b) edit the "hosts" file.

Code: Select all

# Copyright (c) 1993-2009 Microsoft Corp. # # This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows. # # This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each # entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should # be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name. # The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one # space. # # Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual # lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol. # # For example: # # 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server # 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host # localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself. # 127.0.0.1 localhost # ::1 localhost 127.0.0.1 localhost 192.168.1.2 home.com
This will tell your browser for this one computer that when you ask for home.com you want it to go to your Amahi server IP address. apache on that server will do all the redirecting it needs for the sub domains as in http://jinzora.home.com

you will also need to use the Amahi command line to add an alias to the server so it knows how to handle the HTTP request (this will need to be done with both methods). So if you only have one computer or so this is not to bad of an option but have showing it off on your visitors computer.

good luck and I hope this helps you do what it is you want to do.

Just to let you know how i have mine setup. my network is using my Ahmai server's IP for DNS. This allows local network users get to the server using the http://hda/ address. Since I own a domain name and a static IP from my ISP I have a domain name point to my home server. so if I had paid for home.com with a domain name registrar like network solutions i could get to my server with that domain name. This is why the Amahi have given you a free sub domain to use. http://username.yourhda.com. since for most they dont have the option of a static IP from their ISP or their own bought and paid for domain name. Thank You Amahi!

ciscoh

Postby ciscoh » Thu May 17, 2012 10:59 pm

so i have read jsdraven's response about a dozen times and my confusion and scratching of my head just gets worse.

there is a "real" dns server build into Amahi. It's called BIND. Doesnt get more "real" than BIND.

i agree that the use of real dns TLDs is problematic but i dont think creating hosts files on workstations is a great solution.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Fri May 18, 2012 4:51 am

Agreed. That is just a band aid. So what would be a viable solution in this case or is there one?
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

ciscoh

Postby ciscoh » Fri May 18, 2012 5:14 am

the wireless router has dns entries pointing to opendns.com.

NOTE: wireless router is configured with a hardcoded ip address given by my ISP. this is the address of my network which appears on opendns.com in my registration there. wireless router DNS entries point to openDNS nameservers - 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220
above is the problem.

if you want to use the router for DHCP you need to point to the HDA for primary DNS. Otherwise you will never to be able to resolve "private" dns entries.

what model router is this?

elehman3

Postby elehman3 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:20 pm

Has anyone gotten OpenDNS working on Amahi yet? The reason I ask is because I have my router setup this way:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/OpenDNS

To block many web addresses, etc. that I don't want my kids getting to. I do not want to turn off DHCP on my DD-WRT router or change anything to it since it is working correctly.

If I cannot block etc. with Amahi then I will have to look else where. I do have a WHS v1 on my network and I am looking to replace/upgrade it.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:47 pm

OpenDNS works fine on Amahi. If you want to continue to use your router for DHCP, point it to the HDA for DNS.

One of the links in a previous post provides the link to the wiki that provides guidance for this sort of setup.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

snakey147

Postby snakey147 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:04 am

I've just set up OpenDNS parental control on my home network with Amahi, and it is really very simple.

Amahi already uses OpenDNS forwarder's out of the box so all you need to do is configure a device on your network to update OpenDNS with your IP address if you don't have a static IP from your ISP. This could be your router, if supported. Or the HDA using ddclient

In elehman3's case all you need to do is configure the routers DHCP server to give out the IP address of Amahi for DNS instead of OpenDNS and you will be good...
HP Proliant Microserver running ESXi 5.0 with Amahi 6.2 on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS.