Netatalk/Avahi for afp Apple shares...

dovad

Netatalk/Avahi for afp Apple shares...

Postby dovad » Wed May 06, 2009 8:57 am

Just wondering if anyone has installed Netatalk on an Amahi server for sharing folders with Mac's and what the experience was like. I know all about sharing folders to Mac's with Samba but Samba just does not offer the speed and compatibility that afp offers to Mac clients.

I assume if one follows the procedure for installing Netatalk that applies to a pure Fedora install this would work on a machine where Amahi is part of the picture. Any and all experience and input on this subject would be greatly appreciated. Also any experience combining the Avahi mDNSresponder as well would be helpful.

Thanks...
Dave

cpg
Administrator

Re: Netatalk/Avahi for afp Apple shares...

Postby cpg » Wed May 06, 2009 12:40 pm

this is an interesting area.

there was an effort at one point to make shares general (afp, nfs) and customizable.

we do need expertise in this area.

if you can make it work, we can automate it and roll it out.

the first step is doing it once.
the second is to document it in the wiki.

very interesting ideas!
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1

dovad

Postby dovad » Wed May 06, 2009 1:11 pm

I have setup Netatalk on FreeBSD as well as Ubuntu using information found via the forums for those OS's. That said I am not an experienced sysadmin or engineer just a humble tinkerer at home. The only way that I know to proceed would be to follow any information available to make this happen on the base install of Fedora 9 and hope that it will carry though and just work once the Avahi package is installed. I will attempt this and document what I have done.

Will the above help the Amahi team to make such implemented as a standard to the Amahi package?

cpg
Administrator

Postby cpg » Wed May 06, 2009 1:16 pm

if you can make it work and document it, most likely it can be done, so yes, it would help a lot!
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1

robbiet480

Postby robbiet480 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:59 pm

http://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/AFP

Just wrote up instructions on how to install AFP. Go crazy!

dovad

Postby dovad » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:25 pm

Does this support SSL which Leopard requires by default? With Debian/Ubuntu you have to compile Netatalk with SSL support, the canned Netatalk in the Debian/Ubuntu repositories does not support SSL by default.

Icey

Postby Icey » Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:56 am

I've documented the integration of netatalk and avahi to advertise the servers for timemachine but also for smb, vnc and nfs
i hope this will be easy to implement :)

http://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Backups ... me_Machine
atom 330 MSI IM-945GC IDE 160GB SATA2 1500GB+1500GB+1000GB+500GB hot-swap

mal

Postby mal » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:23 am

I've documented the integration of netatalk and avahi to advertise the servers for timemachine but also for smb, vnc and nfs
i hope this will be easy to implement :)

http://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Backups ... me_Machine
Apologies for reviving this thread but I have followed your recommendations and everything seems to be going well in the set up till the final step ..... When I create the disk image, it seems to be working and I can even see the Directory entry on the target machine but after a while the entry dissappears from the target machnie and the Mac disk utility reports "Disk Utility Progress" Unable to create MacMini_aa11bb22cc33.sparsebundle." (Operation not supported) ..... Have you any ideas please? I am a mac newb :(
Thanks in advance
Mal

dovad

Postby dovad » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:16 am

I don't really have an answer for you however check out this site:

http://www.kremalicious.com/2008/06/ubu ... ne-volume/

This is information about setting up Netatalk on Ubuntu but I believe your issues may have to do with configuring Netatalk and I would think that the configuration file would be the same weather on Ubuntu or Fedora.

I hope that this helps and that you post your results...

Icey

Postby Icey » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:27 am

mal have you got it working yet?
Have you made the sparsebundle disk image on your desktop before u move it to the share?
atom 330 MSI IM-945GC IDE 160GB SATA2 1500GB+1500GB+1000GB+500GB hot-swap