Hosts file w/ DNS, disabling "eth0" and SMB creds via DHCP

dinomic

Hosts file w/ DNS, disabling "eth0" and SMB creds via DHCP

Postby dinomic » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:04 pm

Hi,

There are a few things that I'd like to get sorted on my Amahi box, but haven't quite figured out how...

1) I'd like a central place to manage some DNS addresses for testing/development purposes, and it makes sense to do this on the Amahi box! Currently, the way I do this for both Mac and Windows machines is to use their own local "hosts" file. I thought that I'd be able to use the same mechanism on the Amahi box (by placing entries in /etc/hosts), but it doesn't seem to work. I thought that the default for BIND was to merge stuff in from this file? It doesn't seem to work for me though. Any pointers anyone? This should be possible, right (both for fixed IP machines and ones given a DHCP IP from Amahi)?

2) I want to permanently disable "eth0" because this is the network port on my motherboard, and it's broken. I'm therefore using a PCI card ("eth1") for my connectivity. It's generally worked OK in the past, and I've even managed to get VPN bridging (see http://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/VPN_Bridging ) to work for me. However, every now and then, "eth0" seems to get re-enabled. I spent HOURS trying to sort this out over the weekend when I was trying to work out why I'd lost internet connectivity. It turns out that either my ISP and/or OpenDNS had issues but when I rebooted my Amahi box to rule that out, it had enabled eth0 causing me a major headache in trying to work out what had happened. If I could just disable eth0 once and for all, then hopefully this won't happen again! I've tried doing this from within Webmin and through the Network Configuration tool, but every now and then, eth0 keeps coming back!

3) On any of our fixed IP Win 7 machines, if I save credentials for any Amahi shares (ie when asked to "Enter Network Password", I fill in both the user name and password, and check the "remember my credentials" box), they seem to be remembered OK from there on in. However, on any machine that gets its IP via DHCP (eg my laptop when connecting via WiFi), I often have to keep retyping these credentials in. Is there anyway I can get around this? Would having a static IP address for the WiFi be best way to do this?

Thanks in advance for any help...
Norco 4220 Case
Gigabyte GA-G33-DS3R Motherboard w/ 8GB RAM
LSI SAS2116PCIe 6GB/s SAS (replaced 3Ware 9690SA-4I & Chenbro CK1360)
1 x Hitachi 160Gb2.5" System Drive (original 1 x OCZ 60GB Vertex 2 SATAII 2.5" SSD died)
8 x 4TB Hitachi Deskstars
6 x 3TB Hitachi Deskstars
6 x 2TB Hitachi Deskstars (1 dead!)

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Hosts file w/ DNS, disabling "eth0" and SMB creds via DH

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:27 pm

I would think disabling the integrated network card via the BIOS would do the trick.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

dinomic

Postby dinomic » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:19 am

I would think disabling the integrated network card via the BIOS would do the trick.
bigfoot65, there's no option in the BIOS for this (had to wait until the next reboot to test this out!). So, that means I'm pretty much stuffed unless I change my motherboard! :( Damn annoying, as it kills all my networking everytime a reboot is required. I've resolved SOME of the problems since this last reboot, but I've obviously missed a couple of steps because:
1) I can't access http://hda (or any of the other named machines, eg phpmyadmin) whilst on the Amahi machine
2) Other machines with fixed IPs can't use the Amahi as the default gateway

This time, when I get it sorted again, I'll have to document it so that I don't keep having this problem....
Norco 4220 Case
1 x Hitachi 160Gb2.5" System Drive (original 1 x OCZ 60GB Vertex 2 SATAII 2.5" SSD died)

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:47 am

That stinks. Most machines I have dealt with could disable it in the BIOS. I know you can do some things of this nature using Fedora Desktop as well. I had a problem with a card being assigned ETH1 and was able to change it to ETH0 permanently using the Network tools.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

dinomic

Postby dinomic » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:45 am

Yeah, it certainly does stink! I want to replace the mobo, but not quite yet.

If you remember what you do in Fedora desktop, I'd most appreciate the heads-up. I've been trying things manually (ie changing the Network settings, and then restarting the network, bind and dhcp services via command line), and via WebMin. Nothing seems to be working at the moment though...
Norco 4220 Case

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:58 am

I believe from the HDA desktop, in the Administration menu there is a utility called Networking. I think in there I was able to disable the card. The I was able to change the name of the working one to eth0.

It seems like it tool me a few attempts, but after a little messing around and reboots, I finally got it to stick.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager