Internet disappears every now and then

bellamatt

Internet disappears every now and then

Postby bellamatt » Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:55 am

I have a strange problem, and am not sure how to troubleshoot to fix it. I am using Amahi 5 with Fedora 12.

Basically everything works fine for me, most of the time, but every now and then wireless devices that say they are connected to the network are not able to actually connect through to the internet. The strange thing is that they seem to be able to log in to the HDA directly through http://hda - ie they are actually somehow connected but not connected.

The fix I apply is to restart the wireless connection on the device. I've been doing it without really thinking, but it's become annoying.

This issue seems to affect all devices - Windows XP client - fixed by "repair network connection"; iPad - fixed by switching to airplane mode and back again; TiVo - fixed by unplugging wireless card and plugging back in. I have a VOIP phone as well but dont know if it is affected. [edit - actually i dont think it is affecting devices connected by ethernet so phone is probably ok]

Any ideas? It is tough to replicate but I am happy to try whatever logs / troubleshooting I can when it happens next. I have a feeling (but am not totally sure) that it coincides with the device going to sleep; it seems to happen more often with the iPad than other devices but I think this might be because it sleeps a lot faster than anything else we have set up, and it's getting heavy use so we notice it more.

bellamatt

Re: Internet disappears every now and then

Postby bellamatt » Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:33 am

Some further testing: when the issue occurs, I can ping the affected machine from the HDA, but can't ping directly from other machines on the network.

I am using a Billion 7300N for my modem/router, in G/N mode. I'm not sure if this is relevant.