DHCP Options?

ciscoh

DHCP Options?

Postby ciscoh » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:38 am

I would like to tweak the info sent out from Amahi a little bit on DHCP requests.

I.E...i want to add a secondary DNS server. This way, if the Amahi server goes down while i am out of town, it delays the call from my wife.

Also, i want to add a Option 150.

Are there instructions on how to do this?

Steve

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: DHCP Options?

Postby bigfoot65 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:27 pm

Check the wiki....however if you mix DNS servers there could be issues. Many Amahi features will not be available.

Also, adding a secondary DNS server to clients often does not work well either. There are times with Windows Clients I know that it will take the secondary over the primary and it is not predictable.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

ciscoh

Re: DHCP Options?

Postby ciscoh » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:06 pm

Check the wiki....however if you mix DNS servers there could be issues. Many Amahi features will not be available.

Also, adding a secondary DNS server to clients often does not work well either. There are times with Windows Clients I know that it will take the secondary over the primary and it is not predictable.
i didnt see it in the wiki. i will look again.

I am not too concerned about losing Amahi services. I am trying to address when/if the Amahi server is down.

I was going to use another server (a VM) for the secondary DNS. This server would point to Amahi as it's upstream and then an outside as a backup. This design should fairly well insulate me from windows issues with DNS server selection.

thank you