Amahi as network Gateway?

greenstar

Amahi as network Gateway?

Postby greenstar » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:43 pm

I currently use ClarkConnect as my Gateway/Router/Network Storage/Print Server and find that it doesn't quite have the featureset to cover all of my needs. I also cannot see having multiple server boxes on a network with less than 20 PCs. Amahi covers everything I had in mind, except I've seen no mention of it being capable of acting as a network gateway.

I have an optical fiber connection and don't use a modem to connect. I've just got a fast ethernet jack in my wall. Thus my using ClarkConnect as a gateway/router also. It's much faster than any little plastic router I've ever owned. D-Link, Linksys, off-brand, whatever, none ran my network as fast, smoothly, or with as much control/configurability as my P4/1GB/500GB ClarkConnect box.

I'd appreciate some quality input as to whether Amahi can also act as network gateway (router).

Thanks for your time and assistance.
greenstar

cpg
Administrator

Re: Amahi as network Gateway?

Postby cpg » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:09 pm

it can definitely do it.

it's not included in amahi by default out of abundance of caution. your data would be one hop away from the net at large. some small mistake could have bad side effects, so we recommend for "regular users" to use an acces point or gw/router with a firewall (they are so cheap).

now, if you want the raw speed (fiber, ooooh, nice!), i understand :)

the only requirement is to use eth0 for the internal LAN, i.e. what amahi manages [*].

you can install whatever firewall you want and attach it to eth1/2/.. or whatever.

we'd like to adapt one or more of the popular firewalls. as soon as we have this new major release around the corner, it will be easy for maintainers and gurus of apps to adapt them for amahi ... (this is actually quite exciting).

hth,

cpg

[*] it could be hacked to use something else, by hand, but not recommended, 'cause updates could break that
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1

nemolomen

Postby nemolomen » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:02 am

Hi greenstar,

What level of service (bandwidth or the name of the standard) do you have with your optical connection?

Have you tried any gigabit routers?

How is all of your network equipment (PCs, etc...) connected together? Are you using a switch of some kind or does everything else plug directly into the ClarkConnect box?

nemolomen
nemolomen

My HDA (3rd): ECS A770M-A, Phenom X3 2.4 GHz, 2 GB DDR2 800MHz, / 40 GB, /home 80 GB, data 1TB, 500GB, 320GB

greenstar

Postby greenstar » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:44 pm

Hi greenstar,

What level of service (bandwidth or the name of the standard) do you have with your optical connection?
I have 10 Mb up/down.
Have you tried any gigabit routers?
No, I haven't tried a gigabit router. I probably won't do that until I can upgrade the PCs on my network to gigabit, otherwise I wouldn't be able to take advantage of the speed increase.
How is all of your network equipment (PCs, etc...) connected together? Are you using a switch of some kind or does everything else plug directly into the ClarkConnect box?
I've got a couple of 8-port switches daisy-chained into the ClarkConnect box

greenstar

danewood

Postby danewood » Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:53 pm

So with the changes of Fedora 19 and not having an eth0 and eth1 (I miss that) what is the recommendation for making this work? Dont worry I plan to have iptables or another good linux firewall running on the public nic.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:10 pm

Not sure I understand the question. What are you trying to do?
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

cpg
Administrator

Postby cpg » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:51 pm

Find out what the device names[1] are and do whatever you wanted to do with the old device names, with the new device names.

[1] to find out the device names:

Code: Select all

ip addr
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1

danewood

Postby danewood » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:55 am

Sigh, I am looking to do the same thing the guy in the first post was. Use an Amahi server as a router. Install a second nic have it connect direct to the modem. The Internal NIC will be plugged into the household switch. You guys said before make sure ETH0 is Internal and ETH1 external. Wiht the changes in naming of ethernet interfaces what one do I need to make internal and what one do I need to make external.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:12 am

The first one listed should be the one Amahi uses at eth0. The other would be the secondary for external as you call it.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

danewood

Postby danewood » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:23 am

No interface is named eth0 in Fedora 19