Best way to change HDA's static DNS settings

polaris20

Best way to change HDA's static DNS settings

Postby polaris20 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:46 pm

Hello,

I have no desire to use Amahi's DNS or DHCP; I've got other servers already filling that function. As such, I have disabled both of those servers. However, I cannot change the network settings for the HDA. It wants to keep itself as the DNS server, which means it cannot connect to anything. The GUI based network configuration doesn't stick. Is it best to just make the changes in /etc/networks, or is there another way the HDA likes it better (in the web-based config) that I'm missing?

Thanks!

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Best way to change HDA's static DNS settings

Postby bigfoot65 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:44 pm

Check out this in the wiki. Also keep in mind you will lose some functionality of Amahi by not using its DNS.

http://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Changin ... S_provider

The tradeoffs

http://www.amahi.org/faq#is-dhcp-server-required
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

rgmhtt

Postby rgmhtt » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:44 am

I have no desire to use Amahi's DNS or DHCP; I've got other servers already filling that function. As such, I have disabled both of those servers. However, I cannot change the network settings for the HDA. It wants to keep itself as the DNS server, which means it cannot connect to anything. The GUI based network configuration doesn't stick. Is it best to just make the changes in /etc/networks, or is there another way the HDA likes it better (in the web-based config) that I'm missing?
Are your other servers supporting Dynamic DNS for Windows clients? As Amahi moves forward in services, the DNS functions provided for Windows clients is rather compelling unless you are really good at DNS. I am fairly good at DNS. Once I finish up with my email and mailman migrations, I will tackle improving the DNS for Amahi. But let me give you a few ideas of what you can do right now.

Can you run your Amahi server and Windows clients on a different subnet from your other systems? This is the cleanest at this time. If so, then Amahi can easily be the DHCP server for that subnet. As for DNS, run Amahi as a subzone for your domain. Set your main DNS up as a slave. You will get errors, but the slave pull DOES work, as I am doing it. You can change Amahi to point to your DNS servers, but you must authorize it as a valid server. The script for the change is hda-change-DNS and I thinik it is described on the wiki.

If you turn off DHCP and DNS on your Amahi server, you will encounter a few bugs. See bug 681.

polaris20

Postby polaris20 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:05 pm

I am an IT guy, so I'd like to think I'm fairly good at DNS. However I just ended up going back to Amahi for DNS; while I got everything to work fine with DNS re-directs on my firewall (Untangle) it's not really worth the effort. Easier to just disable DNS/DHCP there, and use Amahi. There's really no valid reason for my use, since it's just my home. I tend to go overboard with network configurations here. Drives my wife nuts. :D