Portforwarding not entirely working

brorsan

Portforwarding not entirely working

Postby brorsan » Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:16 am

Hi guys.
So i've been using my hda for some time now, and i really enjoy it. However i am having problems with allowing incoming connections towards my hda (from internet through my router and into the hda).
Of course i have opened ports in my router/firewall as with all other machines in my network, and pointed them towards the hda, but still i am not able to connect e.g. through HDAConnect OpenVNP (UDP-port 1194).
This particular problem might be blocked by my employer (trying to connect from work), bu even more noticable is the TorrentFlux which has the same problem. I am using a specific port-span which i have set in the torrentflux settings, and forwarded in my router, but still the trackers complain about me being "Not connectable".

Could this have something to do with the hda itself (SELinux or some grumpy security apps? I dont know..)? All other machines in the network respond well to their equally forwarded ports..

BR
brorsan

moredruid
Expert

Re: Portforwarding not entirely working

Postby moredruid » Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:42 am

have you turned on port-forwarding in both directions?
OpenVPN seems to need both incoming & outgoing port 1194 enabled.
Also, make sure you have enabled UDP as protocol (doesn't hurt to doublecheck), otherwise I'd try with both UDP and TCP forwarded to make sure the problem isn't coming from your router.

As for trying to connect from your work: yes, that traffic is most likely (hopefully!) filtered and firewalled.You may want to test this from a friends' or neighbours' house. If you enable SSH through your firewall first you can always connect that way (I'm used to setting up SSH tunnels instead of using VPN which does essentially the same thing, but with a little less headache).
echo '16i[q]sa[ln0=aln100%Pln100/snlbx]sbA0D2173656C7572206968616D41snlbxq' | dc
Galileo - HP Proliant ML110 G6 quad core Xeon 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, 2x750GB RAID1 + 2x1TB RAID1 HDD

brorsan

Postby brorsan » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:49 am

Thanks for your reply moredruid and sorry for such a late re-reply.
Turns out that the traffic was blocked from work, but i managed to work around it using a proxy and by opening UDP:1194 in both directions as moredruid said. The port is now available (although the connection doesnt fully setup, it is not likely a port issue anymore).

Anyways, I'm still confused as to why torrentflux (I've also tried e.g. KTorrent via graphical login) is not working as intended i.e. I am "Not Connectable" from the trackers point of view. I dont really see what i can do more than specify a port-span in torrentflux administration and forward the corresponding ports in my router, as i have done with other pcs in the network..
Any ideas here?

cpg
Administrator

Postby cpg » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:00 pm

i am not sure what you can do, other than what you said.

perhaps make sure it's TDP or UDP?

i did that with a port for transmission and it worked well for me (it goes much faster).

my router is fairly straightforward, but some routers out there are a royal pain to configure.
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1