Changing Amahi's DNS

rdagijones

Re: Changing Amahi's DNS

Postby rdagijones » Tue May 08, 2012 5:27 am

So is this information on this forum listing completely off base or should "hda_production" be changed in a similar way?

Here's my confusion: Apparently I need to change the DNS of my second Amahi server to point to the IP address first Amahi server in our network. (Here is where I show the full extent of my networking ignorance.) Fedora's Network Device Control on HDA#2 has HDA#2s IP address (192.168.1.12) listed as the primary and secondary DNS. By default Amahi has OpenDNS as the Dynamic DNS. What's the difference? Which one do I change? How?

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Tue May 08, 2012 6:17 am

Where did you find the guidance that talked about demo_development? Also, keep in mind that if you change the DNS on one HDA to point to the other, apps may only work on one HDA without manual customization.

This is a complicated networking configuration to perform unless you are an advanced Linux user. I am unsure if it can even work correctly. Hopefully there is someone out there who is running two HDAs in the manner you are and can help. This is a very uncommon setup, so not sure how much help you will get from others.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

rdagijones

Postby rdagijones » Tue May 08, 2012 6:48 am

Where did you find the guidance that talked about demo_development?
If you look back to the beginning of this forum posting that is where I got that guidance. It seems that it is out of date.

Actually, I am the guy trying to get the applications on the second HDA in the network to work. (http://forums.amahi.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3819) I just keep tracking down leads to see what I can find.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Tue May 08, 2012 6:59 am

Understand. Hopefully the domain on the second HDA is different that the primary one. If so, you might be able to use the FQDN of the app, i.e. ajaxplorer.domain.com to access them.

You can also try changing the DNS setting in Fedora 14 Desktop. Change the DNS to the primary HDA and save it. Not sure how many places the DNS settings transcend, so that could also be part of the issue.

I would imagine if you ran each HDA on a different subnet, you would have less trouble. Put a router inline with a subnet address for the second HDA. You could potentially have one HDA serving DHCP and DNS on one subnet and the other would control the second one.

Does that make sense? Seems like the most logical way to run 2 HDAs at the same time off of one connection. You can string more than one router on a single line, but it can make things more complicated too. I am no expert, but seems like I have seen this mentioned somewhere.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

robjective

Postby robjective » Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:28 am

Has anyone tried OpenDNS's "DNS Crypt" with Amahi? A search didn't bring up any mentions on the forum and I don't want to break my new Ubuntu install.

Info here with link to outdated files http://blog.opendns.com/2012/02/16/tale ... ux-rising/

And latest package with info on how to compile it https://github.com/opendns/dnscrypt-proxy

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:55 am

I would imagine you would be the first one. Would be great if you could document the steps in the wiki for others.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

robjective

Postby robjective » Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:24 pm

I found a better install guide, but it gives different options depending how DNS is setup. http://www.ab9il.net/crypto/dnscrypt.html

Could I get confirmations/answers for the questions below?

1. There are two different sets of instructions, depending on whether there is a local caching server. Would the install be for Debian WITH a local caching server? I'm thinking no because they say to install "unbound" if that's what you want to do, and "unbound" is not pre-installed with Amahi-buntu.

2. Which of these is true?

A. If you obtain your IP Address by DHCP add the following to /etc/dhcp/dhclient.conf:
supersede domain-name-servers 127.0.0.1; [I looked at that conf file, and I don't think A is the case]

B. If you do not use DHCP change /etc/resolv.conf:
nameserver 127.0.0.1 [This looked like it would be right]

C. If you have resolvconf installed, edit /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/base:
nameserver 127.0.0.1 [The "base" file was empty, so I don't think this one is right, but "aptitude show resolvconf" does show that it is installed; however, resolv.conf looked like it was a better match]

And if you happen to visit the source page mentioned above...Does the heading "Autostarting DNSCrypt in Ubuntu Linux" replace steps 6 through 11 in the "Debian, WITHOUT a local caching server" section?