FreeNX and gnome-settings-daemon crash on Fedora 12-Resolved

juzzie

FreeNX and gnome-settings-daemon crash on Fedora 12-Resolved

Postby juzzie » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:50 am

I tried couple of times clean install of Fedora 12. Once I launch FreeNX client on my windows PC - it connects OK to the Fedora box, but red bulb appears showing that "gnome-settings-daemon" crashed. Tried to google it, it says that this crash is common for Ubuntu and Freenx. It looks like it's now "common" for Fedora as well. Does anybody else see this behavior? Or did I miss something? Thanks.

juzzie

Use Nomachine free NX server instead of FreeNX

Postby juzzie » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:42 pm

Turned out it is FreeNX software problem - not Fedora's. I figured out that FreeNX server is a modified version of NX free server by Nomachine. FreeNX is located at http://freenx.berlios.de/ web site and it looks like it was not updated since 2008. I installed FreeNX as outlined in wiki, got connected to my server, but immediately got a notification screen saying that gnome daemon crashed. It basically allowed me to continue the session (non critical error), but I had a feeling that I do not want use the software that crashes my system.

Then I went on Nomachine web site and and downloaded a Free Nomachine NX server (http://www.nomachine.com/select-package ... id=1&ids=2) for Linux i386 RPM. It consists of three separate downloads: client RPM, node RPM and Server RPM. You can read on their web site detailed info on how to install it and in what order - pretty straightforward. Here is what you need to do to get it installed on Fedora 12:

1) Go to your System Preferences-->Add Remove Software and do search for "audiofile" (without quotes). It will find for you a piece of software "auodifile 0.2.6" blah blah. Install both development files and a library;

2) Do search (the same Add/remove software) for "libstdc". It will find C++ libraries, different versions. Install latest ones in case they are not yet installed;

3) Do search (same place) for "GLIBC" - it will find a few libraries there. Install the latest ones in case they are not yet installed

That's it. Then go to terminal and do "sudo rpm -i" command for all three packages that you downloaded before. You'll find detailed instructions on their web site. It may complain something about permissions for CUPS that you can ignore. Or if you want, you can follow the instructions the installer gives you, and fix permission problem and re-install. Keep in mind, that these three packages are easily removable thru Add/Remove interface in System Preferences.

Last step. Download and install NX client software (in my case it's Windows version). Once installed, you can run it with default Key and default settings. Just choose Configure button, and on General tab, choose UNIX---Gnome for the desktop. No need to export/import Keys - can run with default installed keys. For added security, you can later change Keys as described in their knowledge base (article #AR01C00126).

I am very happy with image quality and speed. This is a "must" have for Amahi setup, unless of course, you have some specific needs for VNC type stuff (I'm talking for In-home access). So my setup for headless Amahi is SSH thru Portable Putty and Nomachine Free NX server.

cpg
Administrator

Re: FreeNX and gnome-settings-daemon crash on Fedora 12-Resolved

Postby cpg » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:11 am

same thing with this one!

should be made sticky or something!!
(but i can't!)
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1

jaybea

Re: Use Nomachine free NX server instead of FreeNX

Postby jaybea » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:32 am

I am very happy with image quality and speed. This is a "must" have for Amahi setup, unless of course, you have some specific needs for VNC type stuff (I'm talking for In-home access). So my setup for headless Amahi is SSH thru Portable Putty and Nomachine Free NX server.
I installed FreeNX using your instructions and am also very happy with it. I am still getting the Gnome crashes, however. Did you resolve this as well?

skyraven

Re: FreeNX and gnome-settings-daemon crash on Fedora 12-Resolved

Postby skyraven » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:55 pm

Hello,

I'm having the same issue as you and am searching for a fix.

I'm running Ubuntu 8.04 with NxServer.
The error is caused by the enable multimedia capabilities of NxServer that relies on ESD support afterwards.
If you disable in your distro the sounds -> enable software mixing then no error..but also no sound..

Did anyone find a good fix for this ?

Cheers,
Mihai

ajaxmike

Re: Use Nomachine free NX server instead of FreeNX

Postby ajaxmike » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:15 am

Turned out it is FreeNX software problem - not Fedora's. I figured out that FreeNX server is a modified version of NX free server by Nomachine. FreeNX is located at http://freenx.berlios.de/ web site and it looks like it was not updated since 2008. I installed FreeNX as outlined in wiki, got connected to my server, but immediately got a notification screen saying that gnome daemon crashed. It basically allowed me to continue the session (non critical error), but I had a feeling that I do not want use the software that crashes my system.

Then I went on Nomachine web site and and downloaded a Free Nomachine NX server (http://www.nomachine.com/select-package ... id=1&ids=2) for Linux i386 RPM. It consists of three separate downloads: client RPM, node RPM and Server RPM. You can read on their web site detailed info on how to install it and in what order - pretty straightforward. Here is what you need to do to get it installed on Fedora 12:

1) Go to your System Preferences-->Add Remove Software and do search for "audiofile" (without quotes). It will find for you a piece of software "auodifile 0.2.6" blah blah. Install both development files and a library;

2) Do search (the same Add/remove software) for "libstdc". It will find C++ libraries, different versions. Install latest ones in case they are not yet installed;

3) Do search (same place) for "GLIBC" - it will find a few libraries there. Install the latest ones in case they are not yet installed

That's it. Then go to terminal and do "sudo rpm -i" command for all three packages that you downloaded before. You'll find detailed instructions on their web site. It may complain something about permissions for CUPS that you can ignore. Or if you want, you can follow the instructions the installer gives you, and fix permission problem and re-install. Keep in mind, that these three packages are easily removable thru Add/Remove interface in System Preferences.

Last step. Download and install NX client software (in my case it's Windows version). Once installed, you can run it with default Key and default settings. Just choose Configure button, and on General tab, choose UNIX---Gnome for the desktop. No need to export/import Keys - can run with default installed keys. For added security, you can later change Keys as described in their knowledge base (article #AR01C00126).

Did NOT work for me -- I still get a crash "gnome-settings-daemon-2.28.2-2.fc12 was killed by signal 6 (SIGABRT)"

I used webmin for the package installs because sudu didn't do anything on my system. There are several glibc libraries, but only two looked like they were relevant -- glibc and glibc-common -- so I only installed those. Despite the crash, most things on the desktop seem to work, so I'll stick with it. It's a much better solution than VNC, but the crash leaves me a bit uneasy.

There is an open ticket from October 15 on the nomachines trouble reporting system with a similar issue (http://www.nomachine.com/tr/view.php?id=TR10H02392)
Michael McFarlane
Ajax (Toronto) Canada