Advancing DNS

rgmhtt

Advancing DNS

Postby rgmhtt » Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:18 am

Here are my thoughts on DNS. There perhaps are still a couple holes for IPv6 support.

Implement more 'standard' BIND directory structure:

Code: Select all

/var/.../named/ etc var log run tmp named data dynamic slaves In etc: named.conf (sym ln to /etc/named.conf), named.acl named.conf needs: forwarding nameserver addrs eth0 addr (IPv4, for IPv6 use 'any'?) Is server primary Amahi server? CIDR network for in-addr.arpa (e.g. 192.168.128.0/22 -> 128-22.168.192.in-addr.arpa) domain name if domain TLD not 'public', is this TLD's master, or slave? namecaching would only work if TLD handled in forwarding list, don't assume if domain a sub-domain and TLD not 'public' repeat for domain. else 1st forwarding nameserver MUST be primary Amahi server configure as a namecaching server and no zone files named.acl needs: CIDR network for allowed access eg 192.168.128.0/22 For zone files: SOA information: FQDN of server (allow for other than hda...) domain of server timers: Refresh, retry, Expiry, Minimum NS: FQDN MX: priority, FQDN DHCP range for $GENERATE for forward and backward records eg $GENERATE 151-183 h$ A 192.168.128.$ and eg $GENERATE 151-183 192.168.128.$ PTR h$.domain server name and IP gateway IP Aliases for CNAMEs Other IP addresses name and IP Aliases for CNAMEs If master for 168.192.in-addr.arpa SOA information (possible different timers) NS FQDN CIDR delegation: NS FQDN $GENERATE for all <CIDR> addrs: eg: $GENERATE 1-254 $.128.168.192.in-addr.arpa. CNAME $.0-24.128.168.192.in-addr.arpa. Notes about existing DNS-related Amahi DB tables: Settings: Amahi server name Amahi domain name Amahi IP address Amahi network address Amahi network netmask/CIDR block (both formats or derive one from other?) Gateway IP address Is Amahi DNS master? Dynamic zone's SOA timers DHCP address range Check that it is within CIDR block and blow a fit if it is not. DHCP will anyway! This should be an edit check in the entry form Aliases table (will create CNAME RRs, not A RRs) Name Can contain partial or full domain If partial, acts as a sub-zone without creating one (eg hda.test) If full domain MUST end in a period Note current table includes hda and router. These will be dropped. Alias for Same rules as for Name Note current table has IP addr Hosts table (for A and AAAA RRs) Name Can contain partial or full domain If partial, acts as a sub-zone without creating one (eg hda.test) If full domain MUST end in a period IP addr IPv4 or IPv6 Services table (new, for NS, MX, and SRV RRs) Name Resource Type (NS, MX, SRV) TTL (if not default) Priority (MX and SRV) Service (SRV) Protocol (SRV) Weight (SRV) Port (SRV) Target Name

cpg
Administrator

Re: Advancing DNS

Postby cpg » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:19 pm

these are quite literally your thoughts :)

i find it hard to read, though i get a sense you are interested in a feature-full, robust, reliable dns server ....

perhaps if we linearize them we can size things up.

what is the first step?

and the second?

and the third.
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1

rgmhtt

Re: Advancing DNS

Postby rgmhtt » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:38 pm

I am getting ready to head to Seattle for two days for an ICSAlabs IPsec and Firewall consortium meeting, So I can't give this a lot of time right now.

First step is to fix up DNS a little and support nets smaller than a /24. I have done much of that in the bug reports.
  • * fix the SOA, NS, MX bugs I have reported.

* To settings table add the dyn_lo and hi and the net's last octet. These are values I am always patching in the hdactl script.

* Remove hda and router from the aliases table and just add those A RR from information from the settings table. From the aliases table, build CNAME RR to hda.domain.

* For the n2a zone, use $GENERATE to build the h<n> A RR for the DHCP list. Use the host table to build any other A RR needed.

* for the a2n zone, put in PTR RR for hda and router, entries in host table and $GENERATE for DHCP range.

* Add the internal view as I have detailed in the bug submission. Including the named.acl and custom.acl includes.

* Add $INCLUDEs to named.conf and the zones as I have detailed.
Those are 'easy'. Step two will be fixing up CIDR all the way with better delegation of the in-addr.arpa.

Step three is IPv6.