Multiple AMahi servers in a DNS domain

rgmhtt

Multiple AMahi servers in a DNS domain

Postby rgmhtt » Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:19 am

If you want to have multiple Amahi servers in a single DNS domain, you can't have them all named the same and even moreso, have each running the home.com domain! One server is the master, and the others are namecaching or slave servers.

I guess the first question is now that we have PDC support, are we going for BDC support with SLAPD backend for the LDAP replication? And WINS support? Would the BDC be in the same DNS subdomain or option of being in a different one (rather messy)? This impacts how the dyndns works if clients register to more than one SMB server. (it has been a couple years since I looked at how SAMBA handles this).

First we need the option of a different name for the server than 'hda'. I assume this is already in the works.

I would prefer the approach of a master DNS Amahi system where all other Amahi servers are registered. A user would register the server with:

name, IPaddr (v4 and v6), DNS server type (namecaching, slave, master), aliases, MX and SRV record requirements.

For example, the second Amahi server might be the mail server (as in my case) or the VoIP server (and thus the need for SRV RRs). It might be the master for the 168.192.in-addr.arpa zone that is delegating the 128-22.168.192.in-addr.arpa domain to the main Amahi server that controls a CIDR block of 192.168.128.0/22 (you use the $GENERATE command for this. Been there done that).

I can design the DNS structure and work out what goes where. I can also design the DB (I did SQL back in the early '80s on MicroRIM and was the gamma release site for DB2), but I can't design the update screens or the backend scripts (I did some TCL development back in mid-90s but little else). So actually someone else will be having to do the major lifting....

If there is interest in this, I will post how I see the DB looking and BIND looking. Also DHCP and IPv6RA (and I suppose DHCPv6, though I have not used it. Found RA good enough for my needs).