Amahi in its own TLD

rgmhtt

Amahi in its own TLD

Postby rgmhtt » Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:21 am

Currently amahi defaults to home.com for its DNS domain and home for it workgroup domain.

Well there is nothing particularly wrong with home for the workgroup domain, but there is with home.com. First there IS a home.com out there and if any Amahi user needed to access it they could not without major changes to their setup. Then in a SOHO environment, you really can't get systems that are not part of the Amahi domain to access services on the Amahi platform. Even if you were to use foobar.com, you can't set the delegation up for foobar.com pointing to Amahi. I could go on, but then I will be touching on 'RFC purist' issues.

It is easy to set up your own TLD in an internal view. We do this a lot for various testing that needs DNS. I have been running a HTT TLD here for a couple years now.

What I propose is a new direction for DNS for Amahi. I am willing to architect if with full CIDR, both public and private, both IPv4 and IPv6 support. Also delegation to other internal sub-domains or slaving off other internal DNS servers.

I propose 4 choices for DNS domain during install:

<family>.home
<business>.soho
Public registered domain (e.g. home.htt-consult.com for me!)
<user>.amahi.org

Have others thought about this? For the TLD, think about what ICANN will NOT be likely to allocate (and I can always talk to Dave Piscitello there...).

Also need to support multiple Amahi servers per DNS domain. This will be in a separate note.

moredruid
Expert

Re: Amahi in its own TLD

Postby moredruid » Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:42 am

I second the motion :)

Personally (even owning the <mytld>.org) address I've set Amahi up to use the <mytld>.local DNS name to prevent issues.
For outgoing mail for those running a mailserver this wouldn't pose any problems since you can configure the mailserver to rewrite the source address to make it a legit strict RFC FQDN :mrgreen:
echo '16i[q]sa[ln0=aln100%Pln100/snlbx]sbA0D2173656C7572206968616D41snlbxq' | dc
Galileo - HP Proliant ML110 G6 quad core Xeon 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, 2x750GB RAID1 + 2x1TB RAID1 HDD

rgmhtt

Re: Amahi in its own TLD

Postby rgmhtt » Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:30 am

For outgoing mail for those running a mailserver this wouldn't pose any problems since you can configure the mailserver to rewrite the source address to make it a legit strict RFC FQDN :mrgreen:
Look at what bigfoot65 did for mailserver. I am running 4 domains right now and NONE of them are my hda's domain. All mySQL driven with postfix as the MTA.

We need more testers of this mail environment and them work to move it as a 'mainsteam' app.