Trying to get fancy with DNS

rgmhtt

Trying to get fancy with DNS

Postby rgmhtt » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:13 pm

My Amahi server is in domain home.htt so its DNS name is hda.home.htt. Its host name (set at install is hda.htt-consult.com).

That is if I query hostname, I get hda.htt-consult.com. I have an A record for it in my internal DNS zone for htt-consult.com. Of course on hda, 'host hda.home.htt' works.

So I thought, I can get this working. I can set up a TLD of htt in my internal view and delegate the home subzone to the amahi server!

Well sure enough, on systems that are using my internal DNS, not amahi, hda.home.htt is now working.

But I can't access the apps. For example, I just installed suduko. On the amahi server, http://suduko.home.htt works. On other systems (not looking to hda for their dns queries) it fails.

So why? Is the serial number not being updated? Is the TTL too long? Is there an acl only allowing access to systems within the server's subnet?

cpg
Administrator

Re: Trying to get fancy with DNS

Postby cpg » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:19 am

interesting :)

the serial is increased on each change after the zone is frozen and all the motions are made:

Code: Select all

[00:13:42](1)florence:~# grep serial /var/named/dynamic/*conf /var/named/dynamic/hda-a2n.conf: 909130406 ; serial /var/named/dynamic/hda-n2a.conf: 909130406 ; serial [00:13:46](1)florence:~# hdactl-hup Your HDA services have been restarted. [00:13:51](1)florence:~# grep serial /var/named/dynamic/*conf /var/named/dynamic/hda-a2n.conf: 0909130713 ; Serial /var/named/dynamic/hda-n2a.conf: 0909130713 ; Serial [00:13:54](1)florence:~#
however, maybe some detail is missed. it's been a while, so i am not up to date.

it's an interesting issue. keep us informed of any progress!
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1

rgmhtt

Re: Trying to get fancy with DNS

Postby rgmhtt » Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:54 pm

I have spent way too long on this.

It is clear that the amahi server is NOT responding to requests. Either because it is coming from another DNS server, or not in its network.

I can query it with 'nslookup - ipaddr', where ipaddr is the IPv4 address of the amahi server.

So I just sent off message to the BIND-users list.

rgmhtt

SOLVED!! -- Re: Trying to get fancy with DNS

Postby rgmhtt » Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:53 pm

Got to file a bug report.

/var/named/dynamic/hda-a2n.conf (and hda-n2a.conf) have errors in them. At least on my system.

The SOA, NS, and MX records only have the domain name, not the FQDN of the server. This probably works ok for within things that AMAHI is doing, but not for outside use, and probably for some apps.

This should be the FQDN in all cases. Particularly, at least on my system, there is no A record for the domain...

For now I fixed the files, but the next time hdaacl runs,it will of course overwrite my changes....

And I already have a few edits to that script that I have to redo everytime another version gets pushed down (all for handling my CIDR net).