Announce: Fedora 11 development repo, roadmap

cpg
Administrator

Announce: Fedora 11 development repo, roadmap

Postby cpg » Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:05 pm

Hello!

Hope you are having a good weekend!

At this time, the team would like to announce the availability of the new

Fedora 11 development repo, codenamed Quantum ('cause it's not quite there)

This is an ALPHA repo, located at f11.amahi.org. We have been working on setting up this repo for a couple of days now and it's starting to shape up.

This repo is:
  • ** known to be broken ** unless otherwise stated :D
  • 32bit only for now
  • for development and testing only, during the next few weeks
  • will only work with the kickstart method of installation, hence it will TAKE OVER AND REFORMAT your entire hard drive for use in your test HDA, though, if you are working with Virtual Machines, you can snapshot the base install and use the manual method for much faster speed in development (see the wiki)
  • will only work with the new installer
If you are up for some rough testing, please check it and help debug Amahi!

We will use the Fedora 11 wiki page to communicate and note the major issues, status, etc.

As for roadmap, this release is ambitious, as we want to:
  • move to rails 2.3 and mod_rails, phusion passenger
  • want to password protect the setup pages with amahi user authentication
  • have a mysql password that it's separate from the platform
  • better support for server based apps
  • much easier native app architecture, using rails engines
Cheers!
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1

marcel

Re: Announce: Fedora 11 development repo, roadmap

Postby marcel » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:11 am

If i want to test this release how to install? The same way as the automated install of Fedora/Amahi 10? Like this way ks=http://www.f11.amahi.org/install/yourcode.
My HDA cpu: E1400 2Ghz; motherboard: Gigabyte GA-G33M-S2H; memory: Team 2Gb DDR2; 200GB OS HDD, 2x western digital GP 1TB storage HDDs; case: Antec P182

cpg
Administrator

Postby cpg » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:03 pm

If i want to test this release how to install? The same way as the automated install of Fedora/Amahi 10? Like this way ks=http://www.f11.amahi.org/install/yourcode.
coool! :D

yes, except that url for ks is like this:

Code: Select all

ks=http://www.amahi.org/install/yourcode
please do report back how it goes! :)

a few people install, however, they do not report. why?!? :?:
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1

marcel

Postby marcel » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:55 am

I did some testing on the new Fedora 11 development repo. During the install i had the following errors:

You have specified that the package rubgem-rmagick should be installed. This package does not exist. Would you like to continue or abort your installation?

You have specified that the package rubgem-gd2 should be installed. This package does not exist. Would you like to continue or abort your installation?

You have specified that the package rubgem-fcgi should be installed. This package does not exist. Would you like to continue or abort your installation?

When the install is almost done this error:

running post-install scripts (locks up. have to reset manually).

Try to access dashbord (hda). Following error:

Application error. Rails application failed to start properly.

If you need any logs let me know. :)
My HDA cpu: E1400 2Ghz; motherboard: Gigabyte GA-G33M-S2H; memory: Team 2Gb DDR2; 200GB OS HDD, 2x western digital GP 1TB storage HDDs; case: Antec P182

cpg
Administrator

Postby cpg » Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:14 pm

You have specified that the package rubgem-rmagick should be installed. This package does not exist. Would you like to continue or abort your installation?

You have specified that the package rubgem-gd2 should be installed. This package does not exist. Would you like to continue or abort your installation?

You have specified that the package rubgem-fcgi should be installed. This package does not exist. Would you like to continue or abort your installation?

When the install is almost done this error:

running post-install scripts (locks up. have to reset manually).
thanks for reporting.

the rubygem issues are next, yes. thanks for reporting that.

now, the issue with the post-install scripts "locking up" is going to be interesting.

basically, it does not lock up, it's just hda-install, running behind the scenes - hda-install is the main post-install script being run!

so, we're looking to

- warn the user that the post-install script may take a long while
- somehow issuing a message there
- vastly speeding up hda-install

the last part is tricky as the dependencies for packages are long, yet we cannot install them before for some reason (though this was true in F10, not sure yet in F11).

thanks for the report!!

cpg
Administrator

Postby cpg » Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:03 am

Would you like to continue or abort your installation?
hi!

these issues should be resolved now. in fact we were able to get rubygem-passenger compiled and packaged for F11 (not an easy feat!), and it's released in the repo. this is a big big big deal. i cannot wait to see this running, and forget fcgi forever. we will be able to run multiple rails apps at the same time and the platform will be way faster!

when you guys can, please give kickstart a new try and report!

thanks!!

pjcrux

Postby pjcrux » Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:51 pm

Cool will do
Community Advocate
HP Proliant Micro Server N40L, AMD Turion II Neo x2 1.5GHz;
8GB ECC-DDR3; 250GB for OS, 3x1TB.

"Experience has taught mankind the necessity of auxiliary precautions"
-James Madison, Federalist Paper No. 51

cpg
Administrator

Postby cpg » Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:35 pm

I'm happy to report that the Fedora 11 version of Amahi took it's first steps today!

the platform is seemingly working well, with much improved performance thanks to using something known as mod_rails, a.k.a. phusion passenger. this will improve the performance of the platform and reduce the memory footprint significantly!

the way to install is with hda-new-install until we switch the old installer out!

note that in the kickstart method, for some reason, the system gets stuck in the post-install scripts - seemingly hung on hda-new-install ... though i am fairly puzzled, because i think that is not it.

GO AHEAD AND TRY IT!

cpg
Administrator

Postby cpg » Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:12 am

hi!

i'm pretty excited that except the fact that the "post install scripts" seem to never terminate, the amahi platform is working with phusion passenger (mod_rails), out of the box!!

i know several people are trying this method ... so listen for the work around:

while the post install scripts are going on, you can ctrl-alt-f2

in that console, you can do:

ps guax | grep install
if there is something still installing wait until it's done. do that every few minutes.

when it's done, type: reboot

then upon reboot, your system will be functional!
except there are no users to login or anything.

if you can from outside, you can hit http://hda from other machine.

otherwise it will not let you login as root.

ctrl-alt-f2 again, login as root and then:

useradd -g users -c "This is your Name" your username

marcel

Postby marcel » Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:44 pm

Did some testing tonight. I installed the new Fedora 11 repo and the only issue i had is the "post install scripts" problem. I executed the suggested work around. No problems to report. Browsing on the hda platform is faster. Nice job. :)