What to do with emails to 'root'

rgmhtt

What to do with emails to 'root'

Postby rgmhtt » Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:21 pm

First is sendmail normally running be default and I just shut it off?

I had over 600 messages (25/day) trying to be delivered and eating up some resources until I started sendmail. Then all at once I had /var/mail/root and it was 300Mb. I installed MUTT and cleaned out all the cron emails (I have GOT to git information as to why I am getting those calendar errors when I have NOT installed the calendar app), and then I had the logwatches left.

I then created the file /root/.forward with my email in it and now am getting those messages sent to me.

I also enabled sendmail:

chkconfig --level 2345 sendmail on

It seems we need to do something 'better' for these emails.

The user should have choices on what to do with cron and logwatch emails and any other general email. Most would just want cron emails bit-bucketed. Logwatch could be of interest to some...

Lincee

Re: What to do with emails to 'root'

Postby Lincee » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:30 am

Sendmail is enabled by default.

this is due to linux's original nature..
i believe it was orriginally done to notify the Administrator (root) to be notified of certain things, like systems errors, user errors, or brekin attempts.
as such, this is not so much an Amahi issue as it is a linux issue.
even when amahi is not installed, i receive tons of "logs" by mail from my linux box, i simply setup some spam folders, and thus they are automaticly send to my /dev/void ;)
First is sendmail normally running be default and I just shut it off?

I had over 600 messages (25/day) trying to be delivered and eating up some resources until I started sendmail. Then all at once I had /var/mail/root and it was 300Mb. I installed MUTT and cleaned out all the cron emails (I have GOT to git information as to why I am getting those calendar errors when I have NOT installed the calendar app), and then I had the logwatches left.

I then created the file /root/.forward with my email in it and now am getting those messages sent to me.

I also enabled sendmail:

chkconfig --level 2345 sendmail on

It seems we need to do something 'better' for these emails.

The user should have choices on what to do with cron and logwatch emails and any other general email. Most would just want cron emails bit-bucketed. Logwatch could be of interest to some...
LANTEA: Amahi 7 (vm), HP Proliant Microserver, 8GB RAM, 2x 1TB HDD, 1GB eth

rgmhtt

Re: What to do with emails to 'root'

Postby rgmhtt » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:34 am

I have gone with the /root/.forward approach. It is working well.

Well other than on my Ahami based mailserver!