Amahi SMB

Lincee

Amahi SMB

Postby Lincee » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:24 pm

OK, here goes!

Amahi SMB is the "internal" name for the Amahi Small/Medium Business, i.e geared towards company use.
in this thread we'll discuss a plan of action, gather some information on people who are willing to help, and what their expertises are.

Currently, we have thomasn_ looking at the dashboard, and how it can be used for company related things.
while i myself am looking into SAMBA, which is allready part of Amahi's core.

we'll follow this wiki and take things up as we go!
anyone in for it? :)
LANTEA: Amahi 7 (vm), HP Proliant Microserver, 8GB RAM, 2x 1TB HDD, 1GB eth

rgmhtt

Re: Amahi SMB

Postby rgmhtt » Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:14 pm

When I looked at the subject for this thread in the Developers forum, I thought it was about some issue with SMB services via SAMBA.

Not Small/Medium Business version.

I CAN wrap my mind around this use of SMB, as outside of Netbios networking, it is the more common usage of this TLA....

;)

cpg
Administrator

Postby cpg » Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:15 pm

oh boy ...
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1

rgmhtt

Postby rgmhtt » Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:33 pm

oh boy ...
Hey it has been a hard day.

This report on IEEE 802.15.6 is NOT coming together. And it was due yesterday....

AMAHI is a good diversion to unwrap my brain from PHY and MAC fights.

Getting on to real issues on an AMAHI SMB, it needs a real server backup method (he says while still playing with that USB CD writer).

Lincee

Postby Lincee » Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:49 pm

oh boy ...
Hey it has been a hard day.

This report on IEEE 802.15.6 is NOT coming together. And it was due yesterday....

AMAHI is a good diversion to unwrap my brain from PHY and MAC fights.

Getting on to real issues on an AMAHI SMB, it needs a real server backup method (he says while still playing with that USB CD writer).
yes, server backups are a thing we definatly need!
so.. what are your skills? :D

rgmhtt

Postby rgmhtt » Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:23 pm

I design security protocols.

I co-chaired IPsec in IETF. I was a contributor to 802.11i, 802.11r, 802.11s, 802.1AE, 802.1X-rev, (and other 802 security work). I am the author of HIP in IETF.

I work these days below the transport layer....

Once upon a time, I did session layer: LU6.2, NetBios, SSL. I was beta on OS/2 2.0 and NT 4. So I know what is 'under the hood'. But I am a session layer abuser these days. :mrgreen:

And apps? Gee what are those!

I have not written any real code since early '90s. I never programmed in 'C', though I did some development in 'B' on a Honeywell Level-6.

Lincee

Postby Lincee » Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:02 pm

I design security protocols.

I co-chaired IPsec in IETF. I was a contributor to 802.11i, 802.11r, 802.11s, 802.1AE, 802.1X-rev, (and other 802 security work). I am the author of HIP in IETF.

I work these days below the transport layer....

Once upon a time, I did session layer: LU6.2, NetBios, SSL. I was beta on OS/2 2.0 and NT 4. So I know what is 'under the hood'. But I am a session layer abuser these days. :mrgreen:

And apps? Gee what are those!

I have not written any real code since early '90s. I never programmed in 'C', though I did some development in 'B' on a Honeywell Level-6.
*looks in hiss christal ball*
i foresee a great future for you, one that is tied into Amahi..
ahh its becomming clear now!
Amahi needs someone with knowledge about security, and its protocols..

does it work?
are you willing to help us?
the current planning is to get user/groups done first, obviously, thats the part where most of the security will be involved as well.
do you have any knowledge on that?
what we want for the business core is a strict dividing line between user and administrator.
thats where we could use your help ;)

rgmhtt

Postby rgmhtt » Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:00 pm

the current planning is to get user/groups done first, obviously, thats the part where most of the security will be involved as well.
do you have any knowledge on that?
what we want for the business core is a strict dividing line between user and administrator.
This is mostly OS security, and that I don't do.

For example, as I have mentioned, I have an NT domain here. I have had it since NT 3.1 shipped, but only had some 'real' clients after I upgraded to NT4.

I have 2 users with admin level authority. My ID and my wife's. The kids are just users. (the boys abusers? ;) ). I regularly use the hidden shares C$ and D$ to make my life easier to look at everyone's home directory and the apps directories.

What would be the equivalent to C$? /home, I would think. How would I create a share for /home that only selected users have R/W privileges to. And would that even work with the way Unix permissions go?

I guess the first step is for two groups: Admin and Users. Can you set up common shares so that both have access? I don't know. This is OS security.

Now if you are talking about ways to secure NetBios traffic over IPsec and/or HIP. That I can look into....

moredruid
Expert

Postby moredruid » Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:45 am

for the scheduling front-end: http://cronedit.rubyforge.org/
basically this is a function to install events in your crontab as far as I can tell.

as a backup tool you can use "tar" or "cpio" both are built for backing up (tar is a contraction of tape archive), with or without compression.

The question is: where will you be backing up to? local tape drive? local disk? local usb drive? some NAS? off-site/internet? burn CD/DVD?
This one will be the hardest to code for since you might want to facilitate all options. With that comes a requirement of knowledge for the admin user (what /dev/<device> must be used or which NFS mount or whatever).

I think it's a very welcome and important feature, but also one of the hardest to get right for everyone.

rgmhtt

Postby rgmhtt » Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:29 am

Backup to local tape/CD/DVD or Internet backup service.

tar, cpio, and rsync are the underpinnings, but they need a wrapper and there are a number of them out there e.g.: backall, sbackup, pybackpack, and FwBackups

NAS is just an application of RFC 1925 rule 6.

If there is a decent $500-1000 networked tape/cd/dvd backupo device to support, that would be a winner for an SMB.

For crontab what about just direct access to the Webmin crontab module?

Webmin also has a great DHCP module, but it is in conflict with the basic AMAHI DHCP operation. A way to integrate them would be important to an SMB.