Application categories: SMB, Home, Educational/School, ...

cpg
Administrator

Application categories: SMB, Home, Educational/School, ...

Postby cpg » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:42 pm

Hi there!

One feedback that keeps on coming up is that our list of apps is not too well organized and searchable. The reaction is that people get "paralyzed" when they see the long list of apps, and stop looking in two pages.

The first step in making this easier is now live in the site at http://www.amahi.org/apps

There is now a tab area with 4 broad categories:

Small Business, Home, Education/Schools, Gamers/Developers

Does that list look to you?

The Gamers/Developers is the catch all ... i.e. whatever does not fit in the other categories.

The order and the names were brainstormed in the IRC, in recognition of the interest in an Amahi "pro" version for "small business" but we expect to change things as we move along.

The names are constrained by how wide the screen is presented with the tabs (separate problem that we'll fix later).

The next time you edit your app or create a new app, you will see that there is a new field called Categories. In it, you can put one (preferably), or more tags (comma-separated), to make your app match one or more of the categories.

To make things manageable, we can start with the 4 categories above. Their corresponding tags are:

sbs, soho, edu, rest

These tags are not going to be visible. Only their name above will be visible, though we're not displaying it yet.

You will see in the next few hours that we will start to peg certain apps to certain categories. Feel free to help along with your apps.

Cheers and keep up the great work!
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1