Linux Scanner Server testing

Khelmar

Re: Linux Scanner Server testing

Postby Khelmar » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:00 am

OK, I updated the wiki again - my system is up again, so I could actually test it and I found a couple of bugs with the old way. This way works on my system, and it doesn't get overwritten if udev gets updated, which is a plus. :)

cpg
Administrator

Postby cpg » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:26 am

oops, maybe we overwrote each other's edits?

i went in to change formatting to show the code better.
the media wiki page format is not html see http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Formatting.

i also renamed it to http://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Scanner_Server

please check that i did not destroy anything.

also, small correction with 15 dash scanner.rules
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1

Khelmar

Postby Khelmar » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:42 am

Nope - that's it. Thanks for cleaning up the formatting! Let me know if it works for you.

If someone has better script, grep, awk, and sed abilities than I do, they could probably parse the USB ID document and make a huge list of all the known scanners in the file. Then, to install, you'd just have to copy that file to /etc/udev/rules.d. The other option would be to do lsusb, stick a line number in front of each output line, and then ask for the scanner and set things up appropriately.

That's beyond my scripting abilities, however. :)

cpg
Administrator

Postby cpg » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:47 am

it worked! very nice!

i usually have to dabble with xsane, etc. this is S-I-M-P-L-E !

nice!

it makes me nervous that it changed the settings of the printer device, but the printer still printing (i have not rebooted, though). the alternative is to add apache to the printer group, in my case (lp? i did not know what it was!).

ps: added that restarting the httpd server is needed to the wiki to pick up the new settings
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1

Khelmar

Postby Khelmar » Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:33 pm

Yeah, I hadn't thought of that. You could try adding apache to the printer group, although my /dev/bus/usb/ device was in the root group. It DID add a printer alias as well, but that was the LP group.

You could add a second alias to the udev rule that's a copy of the first that adds a printer device owned by LP; just make that rule go before the other in the file, so it gets run before the "last_rule" option.

Khelmar

Postby Khelmar » Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:27 pm

One more thought. cpg, could you try deleting (or moving) the rule you made, and reinstalling the scanner server? I think I've got an install script that will mostly automate the process, making it much easier on people. I've added what I did to the wiki, so you can take a look before running it.