Amahi 7 beta 2 release!

jpguisset

Re: Amahi 7 beta 2 release!

Postby jpguisset » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:13 pm

Hi,
It is not clear to me if this is the right place for some feedback, but here is mine.

I have just installed F18 with xfce on a Arctic MC001-N and then added Amahi 7. I had no major issue in following the installation instructions.

I have been surprised that Amahi disabled the firewall service. Is this the intended configuration?

I didn't want to immediately rely on this test version to provide dhcp and dns services. Getting the right configuration on the router and the hda sides proved more difficult than expected. Initially I tried to have the hda query the router DNS as communicated by DHCP, but it didn't work. The hda dns server has to be running for its own use.
I found it confusing to have dns related settings in several location on the dashboard (without even mentionning the fedora configuration application):
- a checkbox in Settings|Network|Settings
- a menu in Setup|Settings|Servers

Once connected my usb WD My Book 3Tb was immediately recognised, even with a GUID partition table. However, I was disappointed to have to manually modify /etc/fstab. It would have been so much more comfortable to instruct amahi to mount automatically selected partitions already visible on the dashboard Setup|Disks|Partitions.

I finally installed the Logitech Media Server from the communitysqueeze.org repo and haven't noted any negative interference.

northridgegrp

Re: Amahi 7 beta 2 release! (using A7/F18 32-bit Remix proto

Postby northridgegrp » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:41 am

This set of results is for an 32-bit A7 install off a protype A7/F18 Remix Installation Disc I have built.

System Info
Power offReboot
System 3.6.10-4.fc18.i686.PAE ,i686
Platform 6.2.17-1
Core 4.2.17-1

hda-ctl-4.2.17-1
hda-platform-6.2.17

- is this correct?
=================
Servers State
Apache Web Server Running
DNS Server Running
MySQL DB Server Running
File Server (Samba) Running

No status for DHCP server?
- dhcp operational as yet?
- does not appear to have a method of disabling servers?
- is this all correct?
=================
- External control panel sees my test server running.
=================
- can create share, use it, and delete it.
- can create a user ID, use it, and delete it.
=================
- able to change theme, change it , and use it.
=================
- only one "amahi paid" for app appears in details (dnla).
- can't seem to install dnla.
- no other apps shown available.
=================
- able to shutdown HDA from settings
=================

sebreghtsjelle

Postby sebreghtsjelle » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:56 pm

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this (if not feel free to direct me to the right place):

I've recently bought myself a Raspberry Pi and I've been reading about installing Amahi on Pidora (the Fedora remix),
but I can't seem to find any detailed installation instructions. Is it in fact possible? And if not, will it be (in the near future)?

Kind regards,
Jelle

cpg
Administrator

Postby cpg » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:30 pm

It is possible, however, it's a bit hard. Not enough interest to make this happen.

You can lead this effort if you are technically inclined, though!
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1

sebreghtsjelle

Postby sebreghtsjelle » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:21 am

I am interested in at least giving it a try. But I need a place to start. As far as I can tell the Amahi installer is a clean Fedora install with all the Amahi goodness on top of it. I guess I would need to start from a clean Pidora install and install Amahi on top of that, but I don't really know how to do that. Is there some documentation about this?

cpg
Administrator

Postby cpg » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:29 am

Awesome!

These are the steps for a "manual install" on top of Fedora.

I am not sure how many RPMs for the Pi we have. Some you will have to build from the github repo (hda-ctl and hda-platform, which has the "platform" repo embedded in it). Not trivial for humans, not too hard for developers.

Edit: FYI, Fedora 20 and later will never support the hardware for the Pi due to it being obsolete. So this avenue, while fun, it's a dead end. Also the hardware is bad for storage. Other hardware similar in nature is there, with SATA, modern ARM CPUs, etc., but there is no widely available platform.
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1

sebreghtsjelle

Postby sebreghtsjelle » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:14 am

Awesome!

These are the steps for a "manual install" on top of Fedora.

I am not sure how many RPMs for the Pi we have. Some you will have to build from the github repo (hda-ctl and hda-platform, which has the "platform" repo embedded in it). Not trivial for humans, not too hard for developers.

Edit: FYI, Fedora 20 and later will never support the hardware for the Pi due to it being obsolete. So this avenue, while fun, it's a dead end. Also the hardware is bad for storage. Other hardware similar in nature is there, with SATA, modern ARM CPUs, etc., but there is no widely available platform.
That's too bad to hear. I didn't realise that. I still might give it a try, as you say for fun ;-), but that means I won't keep it as my media server and I'll have to find other solutions, as I do care about support and being able to upgrade if I want to. I might use my RPi for something else in the future and get my hands on a cheap second hand computer for an Amahi server, but for now the RPi will do just fine. I'll keep you posted on my progress if/when I find some time to experiment!