Amahi 7 beta 2 release!

cpg
Administrator

Amahi 7 beta 2 release!

Postby cpg » Wed May 29, 2013 3:29 pm

Hello,

We're happy to report a new beta is out, beta 2 of Amahi 7 (Fedora 18) repo. This is Amahi 7 Beta 2. We have a, hopefully more streamlined, more user-friendly, [wiki]Amahi 7 installation[/wiki] instructions. Only for x86. Thanks for reporting issues! (Please report issues in this thread)

New things: Improved UI, in general for the subtabs, improved UI of the DNS servers area (in the networking settings area), much better, faster and cached "HDA search" feature (with pagination), some UI bugfixes (the disk size was off by 1024), newly redesigned login page, plus some minor issues that have been addressed.

This new release has one crucial change which should fix the missing DNS issues reported. In addition, this is a slightly more complex change than we would have liked, but it means a cleanup in how some internal settings are handled.

In retrospect, we should have made the previous release an alpha. A REINSTALL IS STRONGLY RECOMMENDED for this release .. sorry. We may come up here with some settings to work-around this and will post them in this thread. We hope there are no db-incompatible releases in this release.

There is no Greyhole yet. We have decided to release it as an app after the release.

Give is a good test from scratch and please reply in this thread!

EDIT: forgot to add two features/bugfixes above: 1) "much better, faster and cached "HDA search" feature (with pagination)" and 2) newly redesigned login page.
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Amahi 7 beta 2 release!

Postby bigfoot65 » Wed May 29, 2013 4:37 pm

Just did an install and it went flawless. I am still testing, but so far looks like everything is working. I am still not a big fan of the sub tabs hover, but that's me.

If I see any issue, I will report back.

EDIT: BTW, the DNS issue is resolved. I was able to do a yum update without a problem.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

cpg
Administrator

Postby cpg » Wed May 29, 2013 4:47 pm

Awesome to hear it all went well! Considering the changes involved, that's quite a nice feat and gets us much closer to release!

Here is what I see is missing:
- the subtab hover ... we doubled the delay until it shows up. let's get other people's opinions. people really wanted to be able to navigate to far subtabs without the extra navigation.
- app installs. this is somewhat untested and it's a must have.
- web app subtab (punt after the release)
- advanced shares settings (punt after the release)
- disabling the DNS/DHCP server is not working (found the bug - related to the big changes we did)
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Wed May 29, 2013 5:14 pm

Agreed. Hoping apps will not be as tough as it was for Ubuntu :)
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

cpg
Administrator

Postby cpg » Wed May 29, 2013 5:38 pm

Updated the repo to take care of the DNS/DHCP control issues and tested them to work.

There is another issue that was mentioned, which is that the HDA does not come up as running in the Amahi control panel. This will be debugged today.

Apps will be easypeasy 8-)

sgtfoo

Postby sgtfoo » Wed May 29, 2013 6:57 pm

- The tabular navigation is still broken (testing in firefox and chrome)
- Using Fedora XFCE live CD works for me with no install issues
- the initial load of the dashboard is taking a while
- Perhaps don't auto-generate the shares... let users create their own... maybe just start with "media" and "shared" and "public"
- PLEASE allow partitions to be hidden from view by the initial Amahi User... and maybe even add the option to nickname them.
SgtFoo
HDA: VM inside oVirt FX-8300 95w (2 cores for HDA), 32GB RAM (2GB for HDA)
My PC: FX-8300, 16GB RAM, 3x 1TB HDDs, Radeon HD6970 2GB video; Win10 Pro x64
Other: PC, Asus 1215n (LXLE), Debian openZFS server (3x(2x2tb) mirrors)
Modem&Network: Thomson DCM475; Asus RT-AC66U; HP 1800-24G switch

cpg
Administrator

Postby cpg » Wed May 29, 2013 7:12 pm

Thanks for the feedback. What do you mean by broken, for the tabular navigation?
I use FF and Chrome and Safari for testing and it looks ok.
Can you be very specific?

Shares can be hidden, but not partitions per se. Please file a feature request for that in the bug tracker.

The initial load takes a while because the whole RoR stack has to be initialized the first time it runs, like all the web apps. We do run it in production mode, which slows things at initialization but then it's much faster than running it in development mode.

sgtfoo

Postby sgtfoo » Thu May 30, 2013 4:51 am

Sorry for being vague earlier..

The tabular navigation doesn't change sub-tabs quickly enough for a typical user to differentiate what section the sub-headings are a part of. It should change/react as quickly as those CSS menus commonly found in wordpress themes.
Also to make a clear difference between the main headings and the sub-headings of the menu, it would be good to change the colour of that second menu bar.
SgtFoo
HDA: VM inside oVirt FX-8300 95w (2 cores for HDA), 32GB RAM (2GB for HDA)
My PC: FX-8300, 16GB RAM, 3x 1TB HDDs, Radeon HD6970 2GB video; Win10 Pro x64
Other: PC, Asus 1215n (LXLE), Debian openZFS server (3x(2x2tb) mirrors)
Modem&Network: Thomson DCM475; Asus RT-AC66U; HP 1800-24G switch

cpg
Administrator

Postby cpg » Thu May 30, 2013 5:05 am

Hi, we just released an update to the repo, which includes the following:

- tab/subtab navigation tweak. i find the css/hover a little slow now, but let me know what you guys think
- the HDAs update to amahi.org successfully now. there was a missing dependency that made this fail silently
- remove warnings with hda-install
- do not fail if the system does not have NetworkMonitor -- the backup here is manual setup of static IP address
- some warning cleanups

to update by hand:

Code: Select all

yum clean metadata yum -y update hda-ctl hda-platform

cpg
Administrator

Postby cpg » Thu May 30, 2013 5:23 am

The tabular navigation doesn't change sub-tabs quickly enough for a typical user to differentiate what section the sub-headings are a part of. It should change/react as quickly as those CSS menus commonly found in wordpress themes.
Not quick enough!? We were getting some complaints it was a little too quick ..

Can you point us to an example of a WP theme out there with something like this? It would be interesting to see some examples of something similar.

An idea would be some subtle highlight as part of the hover effect. (Hard to please everyone all the time..)

BTW, in the themes area there is a vertical theme.