Amahi 7 alpha 2 release

stern88

Re: Amahi 7 alpha 2 release

Postby stern88 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:43 am

Any further suggestions on what to do about the Raspberry Pi install?
Aerhmm... Raspberry Pi supported by Amahi? Neither Ubuntu nor Fedora can be installed on a pi (as far as I know).
That stem from the fact that ARM has a number of different architectures, offering limited to no compatibility between each other.

Small overview of leading Linux ARM distributions and the corresponding target architecture:
Ubuntu: ARMv7 and up, thumb 2 (32 bit)
Debian: ARMv4t and up (armel) ARMv7 and up (armhf)
Fedora: ARMv5tel (arm) ARMv7hl (armhf)
Arch Linux: ARMv5te or higher
My raspberry pi:
administrator@strawberry:~$ uname -a
Linux strawberry 3.6.11+ #371 PREEMPT Thu Feb 7 16:31:35 GMT 2013 armv6l GNU/Linux
How ever:
In case there is a way to install Amahi on a raspberry Pi (I guess raspbian?) I would be really happy to help!

northridgegrp

Postby northridgegrp » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:50 am

Any further suggestions on what to do about the Raspberry Pi install?
Aerhmm... Raspberry Pi supported by Amahi? Neither Ubuntu nor Fedora can be installed on a pi (as far as I know).
That stem from the fact that ARM has a number of different architectures, offering limited to no compatibility between each other.
There are F17 and F18 release for the the Raspberry Pi, but, I would not count on them working out for Amahi at the moment....

Small overview of leading Linux ARM distributions and the corresponding target architecture:
Ubuntu: ARMv7 and up, thumb 2 (32 bit)
Debian: ARMv4t and up (armel) ARMv7 and up (armhf)
Fedora: ARMv5tel (arm) ARMv7hl (armhf)
Arch Linux: ARMv5te or higher
My raspberry pi:
administrator@strawberry:~$ uname -a
Linux strawberry 3.6.11+ #371 PREEMPT Thu Feb 7 16:31:35 GMT 2013 armv6l GNU/Linux
How ever:
In case there is a way to install Amahi on a raspberry Pi (I guess raspbian?) I would be really happy to help!

aarondyck

Postby aarondyck » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:26 pm

If you look at the wiki it CLEARLY states that Raspberry Pi is now supported.
Support for installing on Fedora 18 Raspberry Pi Remix (thanks to dano5!)
I've been having issues with executing the script, as has been noted in my previous posts.

stern88

Postby stern88 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:55 pm

If you look at the wiki it CLEARLY states that Raspberry Pi is now supported.
Support for installing on Fedora 18 Raspberry Pi Remix (thanks to dano5!)
Ahh the Fedora Remix. But as you surely know this Remix has the Architecture armv5tel. The raspberry has this one: armv6l.

aarondyck

Postby aarondyck » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:00 pm

Ahh the Fedora Remix. But as you surely know this Remix has the Architecture armv5tel. The raspberry has this one: armv6l.

Seems to be working for me. I'll double-check the packages when I get home but I'm fairly certain that the packages are armv6.

cpg
Administrator

Postby cpg » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:09 pm

Hey guys, I have been sidetracked on doing other work. Thanks for all the reports on this alpha 2.

I expect to get back to work on Amahi 7 very soon and will pore over the errors reported.

The support for the Rasp Pi is experimental and hope to refine it over time.

As you can tell, these things take a lot of testing, so I think I speak for everyone when I say thanks for taking the time to test things out and report!

Edit: our packages are built natively on the rasp-pi install with theFedora remix and are armv6l. The repo packages are all armv5tel. Not sure why this is the case.
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1

northridgegrp

Postby northridgegrp » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:50 pm

Did you follow the Fedora 18 wiki guidance for install?
I downloaded the Fedora 18 netinst.iso image and burned it to a disc. I did the install on my bench machine. I noticed that the Anaconda installer options are somewhat different from the Fedora 18 Full DVDs'. While using the different Anaconda configuration screens I paid careful attention for differences on the netinst vs the Full DVD. If did find a difference on the Network Configuration screen.

When using the Full DVD install the hostname (lower left of Anaconda Network Configuration screen) the hostname field is blank, the installer insists on a name to be entered. I am not sure what happens if the Network Configuration screen (to the hostname setting) is not touched during the Full DVD installation. When I did the Full DVD install before I discovered the host naming issue I did not use "localhost" as the hostname. Eventually I used "localhost" on another Full DVD install and everything ran just fine!

When using the netinst the hostname field defaults to "localhost". I did not touch this, everything ran just fine!

I hope you find this additional test information helpful!

bigmango

Postby bigmango » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:58 am

Question: Is Amahi 7 finally getting S.M.A.R.T disk status in the webui (with an option field in the settings to enter an email address for alerts), or will end users still have to go through this prehistoric linux nonsense ? : https://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Disk_Error_Alerts

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:10 am

These sorts of things will be available via Amahi plug-ins at some point.

As for the email portion, that is a bit more complicated. I do not anticipate mail service being provided by default, but I could be mistaken. The prehistoric Linux nonsense as you call it is a method conducive to the OS. For now, the wiki guidance will have to be the work around.

This not something we necessarily want to integrate into the platform in my opinion. It's not really that hard to do manually, but automating it is a bit more challenging. Not that we can't do it, just not sure when.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

cpg
Administrator

Postby cpg » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:47 pm

Hi, new update in the f18 repo, with the very latest bits we have in our github tree.

We also fixed a bug in generation of aliases/dhcp leases in the hda-ctl program.

This may or may not work well as an update (would love to know either way!), but it should work as a fresh install using the minimal method.
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1