MythTV Front and Backend

pjcrux

MythTV Front and Backend

Postby pjcrux » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:01 pm

:shock:
before I start out first let me make it abundantly clear that I am new to linux and my knowledge of CLI or linux commands in general (well everything Linux) is severely limited. So... with that said if for example you tell me to scp a file I need to know how to scp (i.e. get the file) then make the changes! :D

OK... Trying to wrestle the beast that is MythTV.

cpg thinks we can install from RPMfusion but I am not sure how to install both at the same time. I run rpmfusion already for the akmod-nvidia package for my GPU. however the install instructions are giving me fits when trying to combine both. I have started two different app developments. I would like to first focus on the backend.

However I'm still having issues thinking how we can run this off of a web browser I have no idea how to tie it together.

so the questions:
Is this web interface accomplished by the Amahi programming already? or is there something I have to do?
Do we need to seperate the frontend and backend installs?
If not how do we combine both in the same install instructions?
Will the dependencies be taken care of if we install from RPMfusion?
Community Advocate
HP Proliant Micro Server N40L, AMD Turion II Neo x2 1.5GHz;
8GB ECC-DDR3; 250GB for OS, 3x1TB.

"Experience has taught mankind the necessity of auxiliary precautions"
-James Madison, Federalist Paper No. 51

gmw

Re: MythTV Front and Backend

Postby gmw » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:56 pm

cpg thinks we can install from RPMfusion but I am not sure how to install both at the same time. I run rpmfusion already for the akmod-nvidia package for my GPU. however the install instructions are giving me fits when trying to combine both. I have started two different app developments. I would like to first focus on the backend.
Ok -- you are biting off a big chunk!
To simplify the process, how about assuming that RPMFusion (both variants of one-click installers) have been installed).
If you can sort out the MythTV part, I think the plan is to add "one-click application dependencies" in the future - ie. you can add RPMfusion as a requirement before the MythTV install takes place.
However I'm still having issues thinking how we can run this off of a web browser I have no idea how to tie it together.

so the questions:
Is this web interface accomplished by the Amahi programming already? or is there something I have to do?
Don't know what functionality is in MythTV (front or back end) too well .. so I can't answer this one.
Do we need to separate the frontend and backend installs?
I think so ... I think most run Amahi as a headless machine - so it makes more sense to have the backend on Amahi and the Front end separate (or even use other front ends!
NA
If all the dependencies are there and RPMfusion is present then they will be taken care of. I think this is something that you (and the community) will have to work our way through. ;)

cpg
Administrator

Postby cpg » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:36 pm

:shock:
before I start out first let me make it abundantly clear that I am new to linux and my knowledge of CLI or linux commands in general (well everything Linux) is severely limited. So... with that said if for example you tell me to scp a file I need to know how to scp (i.e. get the file) then make the changes! :D

OK... Trying to wrestle the beast that is MythTV.

so the questions:
Do we need to seperate the frontend and backend installs?
mythtv is awesome!

i replied to this post yesterday (i thought), but it appears i may not clicked submit.

in short: i am interested in this area and can help out, especially, since you are a regular in the irc, so we can sync up there!

i would use the existing packages, since it's complex.
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1

pjcrux

Postby pjcrux » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:32 am

can you give me a couple of pointers on how to write the install, un-install, and other commands. I am familiar with yum but only with it's basic functions. I'm not entirely sure on how to proceed.
Community Advocate
HP Proliant Micro Server N40L, AMD Turion II Neo x2 1.5GHz;
8GB ECC-DDR3; 250GB for OS, 3x1TB.

"Experience has taught mankind the necessity of auxiliary precautions"
-James Madison, Federalist Paper No. 51

gmw

Postby gmw » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:42 am

can you give me a couple of pointers on how to write the install, un-install, and other commands. I am familiar with yum but only with it's basic functions. I'm not entirely sure on how to proceed.
As a starting point I suggest you search Google for "MythTV Install Fedora" -- I am pretty sure there are instructions out there specifically for FEdora. Once you have mastered that, then we can look to packaging specifically for Amahi.

gjc1000
Pro User
Pro User

Postby gjc1000 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:43 pm

http://www.mythdora.com/

This link will take you to the mythTV for Fedora. There is an IRC channel as well. Happy hunting
gjc1000
Chi pecora si fa, il lupo se la mangia.

cpg
Administrator

Postby cpg » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:49 pm

from my notes, the part that initializes the DB is simple.

/usr/share/doc/mythtv-docs-0.21/database/mc.sql

the configuration of the users is not as simple.
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1