Shared Address Book

mciv

Shared Address Book

Postby mciv » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:06 am

Since it was mentioned in a previous thread I thought I'd share that I decided to attempt using Fedora directory server to create a shared address book. Knowing very little about ldap has made it extremely frustrating but I'm understanding more and more as I go.

So far I have directory server running correctly and I have phpldapadmin running as a web-app. The big issue now is setting it up so that I can import contact info and of course getting the server to talk with various email programs. I've had some success with kontact but evolution and thunderbird are not connecting. I'm having some issue (or more probably a lack of understanding) with binding to the server. More work to do.

cpg
Administrator

Re: Shared Address Book

Postby cpg » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:37 pm

So far I have directory server running correctly and I have phpldapadmin running as a web-app. The big issue now is setting it up so that I can import contact info and of course getting the server to talk with various email programs. I've had some success with kontact but evolution and thunderbird are not connecting. I'm having some issue (or more probably a lack of understanding) with binding to the server. More work to do.
wow, some success with some email programs. as someone who has tried to wrestle ldap, i must say i am impressed. no easy feat.

contacts are a pet peeve of mine. i have various silos of contacts and i'd like to centralize things badly!

thanks for the update mciv!
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1

lvmickey

Postby lvmickey » Tue May 19, 2009 1:50 pm

I am finally able to start working on the FDS portion. I plan on installing this evening. I got sick and have just now gotten my air fixed. I am still not feeling great but I'm feeling good enought that I can build my test box. like I said hopefully today.

moredruid
Expert

Postby moredruid » Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:42 am

http://directory.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Howto:Samba

this is (according to my RedHat instructor) a good place to start...

otherwise search for "fedora directory server samba integration" :)
echo '16i[q]sa[ln0=aln100%Pln100/snlbx]sbA0D2173656C7572206968616D41snlbxq' | dc
Galileo - HP Proliant ML110 G6 quad core Xeon 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, 2x750GB RAID1 + 2x1TB RAID1 HDD