Developing Shorewall rules

rgmhtt

Adding OpenVPN - Re: Developing Shorewall rules

Postby rgmhtt » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:07 am

I see I left off OpenVPN.

Are you running it over UDP or TCP? I will add the appropriate rules after you answer.

rgmhtt

Adding support for tftp - Re: Developing Shorewall rules

Postby rgmhtt » Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:38 am

I see that you have tftp running (noticed the service when I was restarting ntp per the ntp thread).

To support tftp, we need only change one rule:

Code: Select all

ACCEPT Loc fw udp domain,tftp
Now wasn't that easy! Plus you tightly control who can get to your tftp server...

We COULD tighten it even further. We make a zone that only includes the range of addresses assigned via dhcp, nesting it within the Loc zone. Perhaps calling it the Dh zone? Anyway, only it would have access to tftp. But I don't think that restriction is needed.

This now brought to fore another thought. That of DNS over tcp. I do not have it allowed, do we need it, say for dyndns? If so, I would think only Loc needs it?

rgmhtt

DNS over tcp - Re: Developing Shorewall rules

Postby rgmhtt » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:55 am

I only had DNS over udp, and the DNS macro proper allows both udp and tcp, so here is a new rules file:

ACCEPT all all icmp ACCEPT Loc fw udp tftp DNS(ACCEPT) Loc fw ACCEPT Int fw tcp rpcbind,ntp,http,ipp,rpasswd,nfs ACCEPT Int fw tcp ssh - -3/min ACCEPT Int fw tcp 10000 # webmin Web(ACCEPT) Int fw SMB(ACCEPT) Int fw DAAP(ACCEPT) Int fw VNC(ACCEPT) Int fw #ACCEPT Pub fw #ACCEPT fw Loc #ACCEPT fw Int SMB(ACCEPT) fw Int ACCEPT fw Pub tcp ntp DNS(ACCEPT) fw Pub Web(ACCEPT) fw Pub
I also switched daap over to the macro, even though I had it setup for both udp and tcp already.

cpg
Administrator

Re: Developing Shorewall rules

Postby cpg » Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:11 am

i apologize, but i am not following you in detail.

not being an expert, though, i can only remember how hard it was.

what i did was start a quick & dirty firewall user interface. later we can work on integrating this front end to your back end. :)

will take a while, but we'll get there.
firewall.png
firewall.png (19.14 KiB) Viewed 4095 times
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1

rgmhtt

Postby rgmhtt » Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:35 am

Ho boy.... I got some splan'g to do. ;)

First is grouping systems with similar policies. I went with 3 groupings, even though there COULD be 4, but that would be too complex..

Pub - The world at large, a scary place.
Int - My network that I trust.
Loc - Amahi's subnet, where systems can get special services (like dhcp).

Loc thus is built of the same network information as dhcpd uses.

Int is all your internal network that you want to give access Amahi. This can be more than one CIDR block, even though I showed you it as only one block. After all, when I worked on RFC 1918 (yes I am THAT Moskowitz), we were given 3 CIDR blocks. Plus some, like me, have a nice public CIDR block as well. Fortunately Hosts allows for disjoint CIDR blocks for one zone:

Int eth0:192.168.0.0/16 Int eth0:10.0.0.0/8 Int eth0:201.45.28.192/26
So you can pretty much build /etc/shorewall/hosts, you have to allow for those that have more complex internal networks.

I have avoided a zone for systems with dhcp-assigned addresses, I really don't think they are more 'allowed' than Loc. Plus Amahi supports hardcoded systems on the local network, and that would add to the complexity of Hosts file.

Both the zone and policy files are slam-dunks, as is the one change to shorewall.conf to allow for IPv6 (soon I will have shorewall6 example). All that is left is rules and any custom macros (none yet!).

There are a few groupings of rules. The simple one is allowing a port or range to access Amahi:

ACCEPT Loc fw udp tftp
And of course you are going to allow icmp to/from Amahi:

ACCEPT all all icmp
Or maybe not! Then there are ports that need some control:

ACCEPT Int fw tcp ssh - - 3/min
This limits ssh to 3 connects per minute, or no connections allowed for a min to cool things down. There is a less restrictive approach of:

Limit:none:SSHA,3,60 Int fw tcp 22
No longer so simple to put together from a simple form entry!

Notice that I use port names, these come from /etc/services. Most users know what service they want by name not number, but they may not know what it is officially called (eg domain, not dns). You would want a pull-down list perhaps, but /etc/services is a LARGE file with obscure services included!

I am going to introduce Shorewall macros at this point, as it will make a number of things easier to cover. Some services need a complex set of rules. For us, SMB is the most complex we will deal with. In fact other than a few of us that have really worked with SMB know all that needs In fact there are TWO SMB macros:

SMB(ACCEPT) Int fw SMB(ACCEPT) fw Int
or

SMBBI(ACCEPT) Int fw
SMB is bidirectional. You either run the SMB macro both ways, or use the special bidirectional macro. It is a matter of rules file appearance, the same rules are written in the end.

And as I said SMB is complex:

PARAM - - udp 135,445 PARAM - - udp 137:139 PARAM - - udp 1024: 137 PARAM - - tcp 135,139,445
Would your 'typical' user know all of these? I have been working with Netbios since DOS 2, and **I** have to look it up!

Macros also help out for when both protocols are used, and users are not that aware that they need to specify both!

DNS(ACCEPT) Loc fw
Isn't that nice, the service is 'domain' but the Shorewall macro is 'DNS'!

ACCEPT Loc fw udp domain ACCEPT Loc fw tcp domain
Shorewall comes with a LOT of macros, more than we will need for Amahi, but here is a listing:

macro.AllowICMPs macro.GNUnet macro.JabberSecure macro.PostgreSQL macro.SPAMD macro.Amanda macro.Gnutella macro.JAP macro.PPtP macro.SSH macro.Auth macro.GRE macro.Jetdirect macro.Printer macro.Submission macro.BitTorrent macro.HTTP macro.L2TP macro.Rdate macro.SVN macro.BitTorrent32 macro.HTTPS macro.LDAP macro.RDP macro.Syslog macro.CVS macro.ICQ macro.LDAPS macro.Reject macro.Telnet macro.DAAP macro.IMAP macro.Mail macro.Rfc1918 macro.Telnets macro.DCC macro.IMAPS macro.MySQL macro.RNDC macro.template macro.Distcc macro.IPIP macro.NNTP macro.Rsync macro.TFTP macro.DNS macro.IPP macro.NNTPS macro.SANE macro.Time macro.Drop macro.IPPserver macro.NTP macro.SixXS macro.Trcrt macro.DropDNSrep macro.IPsec macro.NTPbrd macro.SMB macro.VNC macro.DropUPnP macro.IPsecah macro.OpenVPN macro.SMBBI macro.VNCL macro.Edonkey macro.IPsecnat macro.PCA macro.SMBswat macro.Web macro.Finger macro.IRC macro.Ping macro.SMTP macro.Webmin macro.FTP macro.Jabberd macro.POP3 macro.SMTPS macro.Whois macro.Git macro.JabberPlain macro.POP3S macro.SNMP
Looking at this, you might pick up on one that I did not include that Amahi 'needs'! Notice that practically every protocol we use, there is a macro for it. And if there is another we need, we can create our own and put them in /etc/shorewall. Note there is no SIP macro. Guess I should write one and submit it, as I have done a lot with SIP/RTP...

Macros don't 'cost' anything. At startup, Shorewall expands them to iptables rules. I guess the reason I do not use macros all the time is style. I LIKE to see actual service rules!

As I sit here typing this 'tutorial', I am thinking that an Amahi user will rarely introduce a rule that does not have a macro, so the basic screen should be for which from/to zone for which macro. Here is my rules file written completely with macros:

AllowICMPs(ACCEPT) all all TFTP(ACCEPT) Loc fw DNS(ACCEPT) Loc fw RCPBIND(ACCEPT) Loc fw NTP(ACCEPT) Loc fw IPP(ACCEPT) Loc fw RPASSWD(ACCEPT) Loc fw NFS(ACCEPT) Loc fw SSHl(ACCEPT) Int fw Webmin(ACCEPT) Int fw Web(ACCEPT) Int fw SMB(ACCEPT) Int fw DAAP(ACCEPT) Int fw VNC(ACCEPT) Int fw SMB(ACCEPT) fw Int NTP(ACCEPT) fw Pub DNS(ACCEPT) fw Pub Web(ACCEPT) fw Pub
And for this, I will have to write macros for: RPCBIND, RPASSWD, NFS, and SSHl (rate limited SSH). None hard to do.

So I see 3 screens. The 'basic' one is:

from and to zone and macro.

The second is:

CIDR ranges for including in Int (default is 192.168.0.0/16).

The third is:

from and to zone, protocol, and port [range].

All of these need a portion which shows what exists already. with the ability to delete existing ones. Perhaps the first two come 'preloaded' Some services are just 'needed' like DNS, SMB, and Web, and we can assume the default Int CIDR block. Plus by having some prebuilt rules, we introduce the concept of what protocols for which grouping of systems (zones). Thus I would preload most of what I show.

I guess you have 3 more tables to add to your SQL database. (I started with SQL with MicroRIM, THE original SQL database).

Fortunately Amahi is a server and not a gateway! (as I work with it, I am coming up with ONE scenario where we might allow it), so firewall rules aren't SO bad... Also Amahi is behind a firewall of some sorts already so we don't have to 'worry' about things like smurfs and martians oh my! :P

And NO LOGGING!

Hope this helps explain our basic firewalling needs.

rgmhtt

Postby rgmhtt » Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:02 am

Oh you will want a method to run 'shorewall check' and 'shorewall restart'.

And report results.

rgmhtt

We are going about this all wrong Re: Developing Shorewall r

Postby rgmhtt » Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:07 am

I just remembered....

I installed Webmin on my Amahi system and went to THEIR Shorewall control! (https://localhost:10000/shorewall/)

I would show you some nice screen captures, but I don't know how to upload them.

So I guess it is your choice: Build your own or use Webmin... :P :roll: