Email server -- again

rgmhtt

Email server -- again

Postby rgmhtt » Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:08 pm

It is time said the walrus to build a new mail server.

The current one is running FC10 and way backdated.

Now there are LOTS of challenges. The biggest is that I want the new server to have the same name as the old at the same address. So I will have to install it at a different address, then move it.

I am on install attempt #2. I messed up the first install a couple times over, but ploughed forward until it made sense to quit.

I guess for starters, I stopped too many services. After all, this system will be RATHER open to the net and we do run Amahi rather unprotected.

Minimally there is stopping DHCP and SAMBA. The stopping of SAMBA stops smb, but not nmb. This is a bug that I submitted some time ago...

I would really like to stop DNS, or just run a forwarder, but so far I have not figure out how to do this. I could not stop greywhateveritis nor openVPN. Sigh.

OK moving on to the mail script at: http://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Amahi_Mail_System

IMHO, you should NOT use rpm, rather 'yum localinstall -y --nogpgcheck ...

Keep everything in yum. i did mess this up, leaving off the nogpgcheck option the first time around and the uninstall really did not uninstall enough to let me run the install again.

I did get ClamAV outdated messages. I suspect it is time to rebuild the script? Or provide the needed RPMs in the AMAHI repo?

Any advice about a swap-out install and DNS config items, I am all ears! At least I have a local repo of F12 updates, so a new install only takes ~30min.