Creating a wiki page on root email

rgmhtt

Creating a wiki page on root email

Postby rgmhtt » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:35 am

I was looking at:

http://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Monitor ... via_E-mail

and it tells you to edit /usr/share/logwatch/default.conf/logwatch.conf to get the logwatch email to go to someplace other than root.

The problem with this recommendation is that there are MANY cron outputs to root that you want to go elsewhere and there are two ways to get email for root to go to the email account of choice:

Create the file /root/.forward

It has a single line with the email where you want root's email to go to.

Edit cat /etc/aliases

Edit the last line:

#root: marc

By removing the # and replacing 'marc' with the targetted email address. Then run 'newaliases'.

The alias file is processed before the .forward file. These methods are fairly similar for simple uses. If you want to get fancy, you better read up on each and choose your preference. I have used both; but never both on a single system.

This is much better instructions than changing the MAILTO for logwatch, and then for cron, and anacron, and...

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Creating a wiki page on root email

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:02 am

Yep, this page is out of date. Please feel free to make updates.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

rgmhtt

Postby rgmhtt » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:46 am

OK, I give.

How do I create a new page to show how to route root emails for this page to point to?

I just spent 15 min on the wike looking for some 'create a wiki page', but just can't find it...

rgmhtt

Postby rgmhtt » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:50 am

i stumbled onto a way to create a new wiki page: Simplely provide the wiki page in the browser URL, and then click on create. I don't know if that is the preferred way, or how to link pages in, but I got something up at:

http://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Forward_System_Emails

Then I went and edited:

http://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Monitor ... via_E-mail

To bring it up to date (it references Fedora 9 & 10) and to refer to my wiki forwarding page.

Please check these pages over and see if they are readable.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:32 am

You got it...no create page link. That is the same way I create new pages :) Thanks for making the updates.

BTW, are you documenting a way to change the port from 25 to 587? I need to do that on my HDA I think.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

rgmhtt

Postby rgmhtt » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:55 am

BTW, are you documenting a way to change the port from 25 to 587? I need to do that on my HDA I think.

Turns out to be absolutely trivial. See private note. A one line change in /etc/postfix/master.cf.