Password changing via C-A-D

rgmhtt

Password changing via C-A-D

Postby rgmhtt » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:13 pm

I found the following in an smb.conf:

Code: Select all

# The following are needed to allow password changing from Windows to # update the Linux system password also. # NOTE: Use these with 'encrypt passwords' and 'smb passwd file' above. # NOTE2: You do NOT need these to allow workstations to change only # the encrypted SMB passwords. They allow the Unix password # to be kept in sync with the SMB password. ; unix password sync = Yes ; passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u ; passwd chat = *New*UNIX*password* %n\n *ReType*new*UNIX*password* %n\n *passwd:*all*authentication*tokens*updated*successfully*

This looks valuable. Both for 'classic' Amahi and Amahi PDC; should work for both.

Has anyone tried this? Anyone in a position to test it? I could but in a feature request for this, but it would be without any testing; just something I found in a sample smb.conf....

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Password changing via C-A-D

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:08 am

Interesting. I can try it in my VM. Only concern is that password changes for normal Amahi is done via the Dashboard. Not sure if this will conflict with that or not.

Guess only way to find out is try it. Is there a reason why password changes for PDC cannot be done the same way? It has the same end result, change Amahi and Linux passwords, right?
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

rgmhtt

Postby rgmhtt » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:00 am

Interesting. I can try it in my VM. Only concern is that password changes for normal Amahi is done via the Dashboard. Not sure if this will conflict with that or not.
It shouldn't unless there is password information buried in other files that need to be changed.
Guess only way to find out is try it. Is there a reason why password changes for PDC cannot be done the same way? It has the same end result, change Amahi and Linux passwords, right?
Why should a user need to change their password in two places? C-A-D password change is there for a reason, and it can be made to work, it seems.

Two places to change passwords is good too. If a person forgets there password, the admin has an easy way to change it.

rgmhtt

Postby rgmhtt » Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:38 pm

Well I tried it and "You do not have permission to change your password".

So I sent a message off to the Samba list. There is probably some other option needed...