Any PDC developers/users?

rgmhtt

Any PDC developers/users?

Postby rgmhtt » Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:21 pm

Is anyone here using the PDC functions? I want to compare notes.

Particularly about printing.

Also password changing.

cpg
Administrator

Re: Any PDC developers/users?

Postby cpg » Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:29 pm

I asked JanJacobs, but he's apparently busy.

The PDC area needs work, as we don't have too many experts on hand.

So, bugs (and patches!) are welcome.
(feedback is good too, the more actionable the better)
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1

rgmhtt

Postby rgmhtt » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:28 pm

Well I have got to get this working sooner rather than later. The printing problem is a big one. Some policy is stopping a domain user from loading the necessary drivers for my HP printer. Very frustrating. And I am not getting any real help over on the Samba list....

Meanwhile I put up an SME server today, setting it up as a PDC and am building another XP box to test printing over there. The SME people claim no XP printing problems, so if I can get things working there, I can maybe figure out what to do here. There are a number of differences with SME. The users are NOT linux accounts, the smbpasswrd file is used to define the users. There are lots more differences. I can supply you with the smb.conf SME built, but first let's see if printing works....

rgmhtt

Postby rgmhtt » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:24 am

I asked JanJacobs, but he's apparently busy.

The PDC area needs work, as we don't have too many experts on hand.

So, bugs (and patches!) are welcome.
(feedback is good too, the more actionable the better)
Well policy editing will become an important item. I got the following on the Samba list:

Have a look at http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Impleme ... with_Samba
This explains deployment of system policy through samba 3.X. It also outlines the difference between system policy and group policy
You can still use Local Group Policy (through gpedit.msc), but as the name suggests its local to every machine, and not deployable from the Domain Controller.

If you are using samba4 have a look at http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba4/ ... to_Windows
These tools include Group Policy Management console that works very well with samba4

==================================

Well we have Samba 3.4.9, so off to pull down the policy editor.

Perhaps we can have some pre-built NTConfig.POL that people can download into their netlogon share as a boost. I doubt if we could actually directly provide W2kSP4_EN.EXE; most likely licensing issues. Though we can also directly provide the templates listed.

Lincee

Postby Lincee » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:55 pm

printing issues can also be affected due to a printer share not beeing setup correctly..
have you tried uploading the printer drivers, for your windows workstations, to the server?

also, even though windows, outside a domain, my automaticly reckognize your printer, and install it PnP, sometimes, while joined in a domain, you'd STILL have to manually install that printer yourself, pointing it to the correct drivers.

have you tried that?

As CPG allready mentioned, im fairly busy these days..
i have documented some idea's somewhere regarding PDC, as i always saw that as my little amahi project thingy.
IF you're willing, i would gladly return to the PDC project and see if we can get LDAP and sorts working, but i cant do it all by myself.

<busy>

And whilst i love beeing involved with Amahi, i just dont have the times (or the means for that matter) to do it all by myself
LANTEA: Amahi 7 (vm), HP Proliant Microserver, 8GB RAM, 2x 1TB HDD, 1GB eth

cpg
Administrator

Postby cpg » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:14 pm

here is a pdc-related .conf file that jan jacobs sent. hope that helps!
Attachments
smb_pdc.conf.txt
smb.conf for Amahi Primary Domain Controller setup
(4.64 KiB) Downloaded 182 times
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1

Lincee

Postby Lincee » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:29 pm

the below share setup for printers could also be of help

Code: Select all

# Printing auto-share (makes printers available thru CUPS) [printers] comment = All Printers path = /var/spool/samba printer admin = root, maryo create mask = 0600 guest ok = Yes printable = Yes browseable = No [print$] comment = Printer Drivers Share path = /var/lib/samba/drivers write list = maryo, root printer admin = maryo, root
apparantly, you need to change them accoringly, and place all the drivers into the driver share
LANTEA: Amahi 7 (vm), HP Proliant Microserver, 8GB RAM, 2x 1TB HDD, 1GB eth

rgmhtt

Postby rgmhtt » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:36 pm

I solved the printer problems.

Basically you have to be logged in with a domain admin user and THEN install the printer drivers. And Amahi lacks the smb.conf line:

admin users = user1 [, user2, ....]

So I will be filling a bug on that.

I think I have the HARD things solved to launch this new server.