Postby lou1z » Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:11 am

this looks interesting....
http://www.fogproject.org/index.php?opt ... e&Itemid=1

room for it on amahi?

cpg
Administrator

Re: FOG - on amahi?

Postby cpg » Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:29 pm

someone recently recommended it via the suggestion page ...

indeed it looks interesting.

we need more testers and packagers ... we're having trouble keeping up with the suggestions and the breakages (PBA and AmahiTunes are still in the repair shop for Amahi 5!).
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:50 pm

For those interested, I have installed FOG and had it working. I could not get it to provide an option for backup in the FOG PXE menu though. It does not work unless installed from the /opt directory. The FOG files are then moved to /var/www/html/fog. I was able to create a web app and point it to the fog directory.

If anyone is interested in playing with this more, please let me know. I can package it as an app, however the install script will have to be run manually as root user.

Bigfoot65
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

lou1z

Postby lou1z » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:04 am

hi bigfoot65,
i am definetely interested in this app due to it's pxe capabilities. how resource intensive is it when running? i was thinking of doing a manual install to give it a shot but would be interested in your app package.
are all the fog files moved from /opt?
generally, the files should stay there which should be where large binary files should be according to filesystem hierachy standards.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:55 am

There are PXE capabilities with amahi-netboot as well. That is what I used with Clonezilla to serve my clients for backup/restore.

Not sure how resource intensive it can be, but the documentation recommends a separate server be used. I am gonna try packaging it, but it will not be a one-click app. The install script has to be run as root user, so it will have to be done manually. The files will not be moved from their designed location. I will modify the .conf file to point to the install location for the web GUI. It appears to work fine then.

I intend to test it out more and will report the results here. I anticipate this is a great application for those who have a lab of machines that need to be reimaged often. The web GUI is nice, but this app will require a lot of user documentation as it can be quite complicated to use.

Bigfoot65
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

platta13

Postby platta13 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:36 pm

I would love to test this out. Can you send a link to the package you have created?

platta13

Postby platta13 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:27 pm

So, i have installed fog on my amahi box with all defaults. It will not go to [myip]/fog/management. It is redirecting me to the hda user. I know there must be some way to change the port it operates on so that things don't conflict. Let me know. Thanks.

cpg
Administrator

Postby cpg » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:35 pm

i am not too familiar with FOG - but did you try setting up a webapp for it?
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1

platta13

Postby platta13 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:49 pm

I am looking at how to do that, most things i see point to how to package the app- the other part of this is the "The FOG files are then moved to /var/www/html/fog. I was able to create a web app and point it to the fog directory." i have created the directory "fog" in /var/hda/web-apps" ownership on the folder is still root ( i see the web-apps are owned by apache). So i will keep hunting and keep my search logs in here if there are other interested individuals.

platta13

Postby platta13 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:32 pm

so per conversation with cpg in irc. I copied everything in var/www/html/fog to /var/hda/web-apps/fog (which i created through the web-apps web interface)

the web interface @ http://fog/management worked, i still had issues pxe booting my computers, it wouldn't register the workstation. ( it isn't working now that the 5.2 update has happened) I haven't had the opportunity to get onto that box and check on things because vnc somehow also lost its config on the update.