How to backup SERVER/AMAHI itself? (policy?)

pbecks1963

How to backup SERVER/AMAHI itself? (policy?)

Postby pbecks1963 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:16 pm

Hello,

I was wondering what to backup from Amahi. (and how...)

Just suppose: Amahi breaks down. (can't be accessed anymore_)

-How do i rescue the data on the LVM? (if possible at all)
-How do i get a amahi-server running again (as easy/fast as possible) with all the changes i added to the system intact... (webapps/freenx/etc..)

Another question: how stable is Amahi? I use it to:

-download torrents
-backup my xp-pc (pxe/lan-boot)
-backup my music/doc's/pictures/etc..
-view remote the desktop (freenx/ssh)
-listen remote to my music (zina)
-view remote my pictures/albums
-publish a website (almost!)

How does this affect the durability of the server? (does it make it more vunerable to attack/damage?)

Can you give me your thought on the above?

ipdemons

Re: How to backup SERVER/AMAHI itself? (policy?)

Postby ipdemons » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:15 pm

I second this. I'd like to know if anyone has a nice hda self backup solution. I'd like to be able to "ghost" the hda machine to an external drive periodically. Is this possible through fedora itself or other software you know of?

cpg
Administrator

Postby cpg » Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:42 am

Hello,

I was wondering what to backup from Amahi. (and how...)

Just suppose: Amahi breaks down. (can't be accessed anymore_)

-How do i rescue the data on the LVM? (if possible at all)
-How do i get a amahi-server running again (as easy/fast as possible) with all the changes i added to the system intact... (webapps/freenx/etc..)

Another question: how stable is Amahi? I use it to:

-download torrents
-backup my xp-pc (pxe/lan-boot)
-backup my music/doc's/pictures/etc..
-view remote the desktop (freenx/ssh)
-listen remote to my music (zina)
-view remote my pictures/albums
-publish a website (almost!)

How does this affect the durability of the server? (does it make it more vunerable to attack/damage?)

Can you give me your thought on the above?

good questions.

amahi has been installed by thousands of users and it has tremendous stability (on solid hardware, of course).

this in a period of over 1.5 years plus some more time that a smaller group ran an early version of amahi for their home services. it amounts at several million machine-hours.

now, it's based on linux and specifically fedora, which is well known (i.e. it's not a claim of amahi itself).

as for how to backup the server itself, no support for this exists at the moment. i personally use rsnapshot, which is great.

others use other type of backups, like, i hear some people use tape. some people use external disks with offsite storage.
depends on your needs.

discussion/ideas on this are welcome. it's an interesting area.
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1

rgmhtt

Postby rgmhtt » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:51 pm

I second this. I'd like to know if anyone has a nice hda self backup solution. I'd like to be able to "ghost" the hda machine to an external drive periodically. Is this possible through fedora itself or other software you know of?
I just installed yumex on my server, then put in 'backup' in the search parameter and got quite a listing of backup programs. Anyone familiar with any of these? Minimally we need to back up /home and /var/hda/files.

I am going to head over to the Fedora user maillist and ask there for experiences.

I have a DVD burner on my system, and so far I have installed K3B.

cpg
Administrator

Postby cpg » Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:59 am

i have heard great things about rsnapshot.

one word of warning about yumex. i seem to recall that yumex broke a few dependencies and such and it was painful to a) find out and b) fix.

some details on yumex in this thread.
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1

mcai3db3

Postby mcai3db3 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:43 am

I really would appreciate A way of backing up all of my data. I'm useless as far as linux goes though, so I need an Amahi based solution. :(

jsievert

Postby jsievert » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:15 pm

I am also interested in this. For the main reason that there does not seem to be an upgrade path between any of the major release version how does one backup all of the data from all of the applications; wiki, recipe, home inventory and restore it into the new release? I have been very hesitant to enter data in after having to hand reenter everything in version 4 and now we are on version 5 having to do it again.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:59 pm

For those concerned about backing up there app data, there is a good solution. Install phpMyBackupPro. It will generate sql text files which you can email yourself or save to another machine.

Then once you upgrade or reinstall amahi, install the app, phpMyBackupPro and copy the sql text files back. Then restore your data and you are back in business. This is what I did when I migrated from F10 to F12. It was easy and I did not lose any data.

Most apps use mysql database, so saving your data is easy. If you need assistance, drop by the IRC or post here. I will be glad to help!
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

fabersa

Postby fabersa » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:35 pm

bigfoot65...

The solution you provide is good for manual backup, but what about a automatic backup ... say once or twice a day? I don't do much with Linux and know little about MySQL and PHP. But I figure I'm brave (or stupid) enough to try anything. From my other post concerning MediaWiki Backups...
I finally got around to trying this. Created directory "/var/hda/web-apps/backups" to contain all the backup files. I have it set up to backup every 12 hours. Ran the script generator under the "Schedule BackUp" tab in PHPMyBackup.

From the App Description: "a small PHP script which must be included in an existing PHP script."

Which PHP script would be the best to put in the script generated with PHPMyBackup? Or should I have it generate a file and call the file from another script (that way, if I ever need to change the way it performs the backup, it will be easier)? If so, what would be the line to add, and in which script, to call the PHPMyBackup generated file?
So, to set up a recurring backup, PHPMB generates a PHP script, not a sql text file which contains all your information / data (as it does in the manual method using the BackUp tab). I could use help on getting the PHPMB-generated PHP script to create the sql text file(s) every x hours and then steps on how to restore the sql text file at some later date (which looks like can be done with the Import Tab). This may also be a good thing to put in the wiki (which I could do once I knew what the steps are :) ).

I'm assuming you embed the PHPMB-generated PHP script into a 2nd PHP script, but what one?

Alternatively, I think it would be wise to have PHPMB generate the PHP script to a file (which is an option) and have the 2nd PHP script call out the PHPMB-generated file. This way, I can have PHPMB edit the backup properties easier (PHPMB would just overwrite the first file and keep the name the same).

gjc1000
Pro User
Pro User

Postby gjc1000 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:16 pm

How about bacula? There is also a webmin module for it. check it out
http://www.bacula.org/en/
gjc1000
Chi pecora si fa, il lupo se la mangia.