Crashplan and Dropbox on Amahi 9?

rapp

Crashplan and Dropbox on Amahi 9?

Postby rapp » Sat May 07, 2016 8:49 pm

Hello!

I am fairly new to Amahi and am in the process of converting over from Windows Home Server v2. I currently use Dropbox and Crashplan to do off-site & cloud backups. I am trying to figure out how to install Crashplan and Dropbox on Amahi 9. Amahi has instructions on Dropbox installation but it is marked as outdated and needing updating... which I found was true since the instructions do not work for Amahi 9. Amahi does not seem to have any info at all for Crashplan on Amahi 9. It is critical (to me) to be able to back up my data offsite... and I don't want to pay for storage from another service when it can be done for free. Please... help. :)

Thanks in advance!

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Crashplan and Dropbox on Amahi 9?

Postby bigfoot65 » Sun May 08, 2016 9:05 am

Amahi does not seem to have any info at all for Crashplan on Amahi 9.
There is a crashplan App in the Amahi store, however not working correctly and in ALPHA status.

Instructions may be outdated in the wiki, but the CrashPlan web site should have something more recent. This app works best with a Desktop on the server which is why we have difficulty in getting it to work with Amahi.

You may find some guidance for Dropbox on the internet.

Have you considered using the amahi-sync App? It works quite well for me.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

rapp

Postby rapp » Sun May 08, 2016 1:42 pm

I have considered Amahi-Sync. Problem #1, you do not have any storage space unless you pay monthly for a premium subscription. Problem #2, even if did pay monthly, the most they offer is 150 GB of storage. I need at LEAST 500GB now, with room to grow. :?

Is there a way to create a 'desktop' version of Amahi from a headless one?

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Sun May 08, 2016 3:10 pm

Is there a way to create a 'desktop' version of Amahi from a headless one?
There is guidance in the wiki for adding a desktop to Amahi, but not recommended.

It often breaks the HDA and the only fix is to start over from scratch.

Your server and your choice, but I would not recommend it.

There is guidance on the internet for installing CrashPlan on a headless server that might help. You should be able to find it on their web site I believe. Same holds true for Dropbox.

If interested, I could give you access to test the crashplan App. There is post install guidance in the wiki that you need to follow for it as well. I believe one user had it working, but he had to make some changes based on guidance from the CrashPlan web site.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

rapp

Postby rapp » Sun May 08, 2016 6:04 pm

Links to the guides on installing both Dropbox and crashplan, as well as access to the crashplan app would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you! I would be happy to try and get it working and report back how if I am able to. In the mean time, I will keep my WHS 2011 running so I don't put my data in danger. :) How is the best way for you to get that information to me?

bt107

Postby bt107 » Mon May 09, 2016 5:10 am

I've been able to get it working based on the guidance from the Crashplan website. It involves using putty to establish the client-hda connection and modifying some configuration files when you access the Crashplan engine on the hda. You also must have Crashplan running on the client. This is all described fairly well on the Crashplan site in the running headless section. This process is a bit of a pain but it does work and once you get the backup set defined on the server you really don't have to go back into it very much.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon May 09, 2016 5:37 am

Links to the guides on installing both Dropbox and crashplan, as well as access to the crashplan app would be greatly appreciated!!
You now have access to the crashplan App. Please provide feedback on how it works and/or make any updates to the wiki CrashPlan guidance.

As for Dropbox, you can find guidance on their web site here. It would be greatly appreciated if you could update the Dropbox wiki page accordingly, that would be great.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager