PBA marketing stuff on Amahi.org is very misleading

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: PBA marketing stuff on Amahi.org is very misleading

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:02 pm

Depends on your backup needs. Most clients have a good backup program that can be used with your HDA. You could also find a free one, there are many out there.

Crashplan is live now and it might fulfill your requirements. If not and anyone can find something good we can package, please suggest it. We can package it.

Keep in mind we have tried many that don't work, like Amanda and BackupPC that do not play well with Amahi. We do have some good full metal backup programs in beta, but that may not be what you all are looking for.

I think its harder to find a web app that a desktop app.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

bengriggs

Postby bengriggs » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:05 pm

Just thought I'd throw my feedback out there, as well. After looking over the Amahi site I really wanted to give it a try to possibly someday replace my WHS. After reading about the troubles/complexities with automated backups, though, I'm afraid I'll have to pass. For me, I'd need two types of backups, of which WHS only does one well:

1) Automated/unattended networked PC backups. Time machine/Windows Home Server Connecter, whatever. WHS does this very well.

2) Automated/unattended folder/file backup to offsite cloud storage location for disaster purposes. If I've got a server, it's going to be the centralized location for all of my pictures/home videos/music an the authoritative source for each. I need a way to get that stuff backed up offsite in case my house burns down. This is a glaring omission in WHS - there are some 3rd party plugins that I've tried that just don't work very well, and now I wonder how well they will be maintained now that WHS seems to be on life support. I was hoping to find a solution that would not only do #1 for me, but also plug this gap as well.

It doesn't sound like Amahi does either very well, if at all, and at this point would be a step backwards for me.

It does look like a cool file/media server otherwise. I'll come back occasionally to see how things are progressing.

radioz

Postby radioz » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:45 pm

I think CrashPlan fulfills my needs rather well.

It provides for both local as well as cloud storage very easily. I'm pretty satisfied with it so far.

It was easy to install and setup. Check out their website http://b4.crashplan.com/

bengriggs

Postby bengriggs » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:51 pm

Thanks - crashplan looks really cool. Was it difficult to set up on Amahi? I'm not much of a Linux user and avoid command line whenever possible.

radioz

Postby radioz » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:48 pm

No, it was really easy.

There are several ways to use CrashPlan. You can sign up for the free version which allows you to install it on each of your computers and do backups from one computer to another (that's what I do). Or, for a little money, you can back up your computers to their cloud storage (or backup both to the cloud and to local machines).

An interesting feature of either plans is that it allows a friend to backup their computer on one of your local machines over the internet.

It's pretty cool. The way that I'm using it at the moment (using the free version) is to back up my hda and 3 of my computers to each other. So for example I back up my hda to computer A, A to B, and B to C.

If you have questions about using it I recommend looking at CrashPlan's user forum: https://crashplan.zendesk.com/forums

Good luck!