What's using up my disk space?

anfrey

What's using up my disk space?

Postby anfrey » Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:16 pm

Recently, Crashplan alerted me that it was unable to continue with the backup because the hard drive was full. My HDA only has a single 80GB drive (71.2GB usable). I do not have any files in my shares, as I only use the HDA for DNS, DHCP, and Crashplan. The only apps installed are Crashplan and RPM Fusion. According to the "df -h" output, there is 36GB being used. How can I find out what's using up this space? It seems odd that 36GB is being used when there's nothing there. Perhaps it's kept copies of files that were in my share a long time ago that I have since removed?

I've tried to include my "fpaste --sysinfo" output, but the only URL it gives me is "http://fpaste.org/" with nothing else.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: What's using up my disk space?

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:36 am

Check /var/log directory for .gz files. They can be removed and may be taking up space.

There are scripts on the internet that will tell you how much space is being used by each directory on the machine. If I can find them again, I will post the URL.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

anfrey

Postby anfrey » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:44 pm

Thanks for the response. Checked /var/log and the .gz files were only a few KB in size. Found a few logs about 23MB each, but nothing major that would be in the GB range. If you happen across the script, please let me know. Much appreciated!

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:07 pm

Try this command-line syntax:

Code: Select all

du -kL --max-depth=1 | sort -n | cut -f2 | xargs -d '\n' du -shL
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

anfrey

Postby anfrey » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:03 pm

Thank you very much bigfoot65. I've narrowed it down the about 850 subdirectories under /usr/local/crashplan/upgrade/, which are collectively taking up all that space. I suspect they are the files I had backed up, even though I had told crashplan to discard all backups since I wanted to start anew. Removing and re-adding the HDA Crashplan destination is not removing the files. I find it odd that Crashplan was keeping a second copy of all the backup up items, effectively cutting the available space in half. Maybe there's something to tweak in the settings that I must've missed. Anyway, thanks for helping me narrow it down to this point. I'll just need to figure out how to remove these sets. Perhaps removing and reinstalling crashplan may be the best option? Do you know if it's possible to do this headless via SSH?

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:37 am

Perhaps removing and reinstalling crashplan may be the best option?
Not sure that will fix the problem. There must be a setting somewhere.
Do you know if it's possible to do this headless via SSH?
Have you reviewed the Crashplan wiki page?
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

ceayuso

Postby ceayuso » Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:04 pm

Had the same issue and contacted Code42. Here's the answer:
With CrashPlan 4.4, Oracle's JRE 1.7 is now a requirement for running CrashPlan. This new JRE is not included in CrashPlan upgrades on Linux machines, but is downloaded optionally with our new installer. We recommend uninstalling and reinstalling CrashPlan (and allowing it to install Oracle's JRE). One advantage to this method is that CrashPlan will silo this JRE so that it is not interfering or conflicting with your system JRE.

You can find our instructions for getting your system back up and running here:

https://support.code42.com/CrashPlan/La ... ot_Back_Up
Please let us know if you have any questions, or encounter any trouble with the steps above.
The symptoms at their link include: This issue may also cause the CrashPlan app to repeatedly try to upgrade. This is what fills up the hard drive. I decided this was a good opportunity to upgrade to Amahi 8. Now I can't get CrashPlan to work any longer.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:38 am

We will have to take a look at the CrashPlan application. Not sure if you noticed, but it's in ALPHA for Amahi 8 and not working.

Please submit a bug report with the details, to include /var/log/amahi-app-installer.log and the URL for the following command:

Code: Select all

fpaste --sys-info
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

ceayuso

Postby ceayuso » Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:09 pm

I submitted issue https://bugs.amahi.org/issues/1877. The fpaste option should be "--sysinfo" (no dash).

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:03 pm

Thanks! Sorry about the extra hyphen. Fat fingers on a tablet typing lol

Could post the URL from the fpaste?
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager