backing up FROM Synology TO Amahi

kcgr

backing up FROM Synology TO Amahi

Postby kcgr » Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:57 pm

I setup my HP Mediasmart/Amahi box (ubuntu 12.04) as the backup target from my trusty readynas NV+. I got the readynas to do a WOL to turn on the HP (using etherwake), then configured the backup routine in the dashboard of the readynas to backup each share to a mirrored set of backup shares on my Amahi box. Then I set the Amahi to automatically turn off towards the end of the day. I patted myself on the back for a job well done.

I figured that getting a synology/xpenology unit (running DSM 5.0 update 7) to do the same thing would be easy. In my case I'm experimenting with xpenology on a HP N54L. I thought that I'd fill out the dashboard on the HP N54L and hit the "go" button to start the backup to the HP/Amahi. I found it was not so easy.

What follows is the solution of a newbie/eager learner. I'm not sure if this was all done correctly (as an expert would do it, that is), but it seems to work. If someone sees an error or an improvement, I'd love to read it.... here we go...

Please see Network backup from Synology to Amahi in the wiki.

In contrast, setting up the backup to my readynas NV+ box was this complicated:
login to frontview (the dashboard) and enable rsync service.
then I did everything else on the xpenology box the same.

Strangely, moving data from the NV+ to the Amahi didn't require rsync daemon running as above on the Amahi box nor the service enabled on the NV+.

Again, if I could have done it more efficiently, please chime in. I think I captured everything I did accurately.
Well, I hope that helps someone.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: backing up FROM Synology TO Amahi

Postby bigfoot65 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:19 pm

Would you mind adding this to the Amahi wiki? It would be best to do that and reference the link here versus posting such a long message.

Also others can benefit as the Amahi wiki is the primary source for tutorials and how to's such as this.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

kcgr

Postby kcgr » Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:10 am

I made one. I wasn't sure what "category" to put it in, so I decided on "platform." Not the fanciest page created, but this was my first time doing an edit. I did manage to find the little code for boxing in bash commands, and that prettied it up a bit.

It is titled: Network backup FROM Synology TO Amahi

thanks!
Kevin

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:03 pm

Thanks for the contribution. I have tweaked the formatting a bit. Also edited your post above and inserted the URL for the wiki. Keeps things cleaner :)
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2