Backup Strategy (Server + Computers on Network)

MeasureTech

Backup Strategy (Server + Computers on Network)

Postby MeasureTech » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:15 pm

Hello all,

I'm trying to plan out the best and easiest way to backup both my server (e.g., all files on the shares) and also backup the computers on the network (3-4 computers/users).

I believe I can use the Windows Backup program to backup/image computers on the network, as described on the Wiki, unless there is a better solution for backing up computers on the network.

As far as backing up the server, I'm not quite clear what the best method is to do this. I have setup AutoMySQLBackup, but to be honest I'm not sure what that is doing.

I've read a lot about Crashplan, Clonezilla, Rsync, .. but I'm not sure what is best for what.

Any direction would be greatly appreciated!

Matt

bt107

Re: Backup Strategy (Server + Computers on Network)

Postby bt107 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:00 am

I've been using Crashplan and Crashplan Central for quite a while. I use the mount_shares_locally script then point Crashplan to there. Works well.

MeasureTech

Postby MeasureTech » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:58 pm

I've been using Crashplan and Crashplan Central for quite a while. I use the mount_shares_locally script then point Crashplan to there. Works well.
Thanks for the advise! I will definitely try that.

MeasureTech

Postby MeasureTech » Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:18 pm

Installed Crashplan on one 1 computer and the HDA and have been playing with it. So far pretty impressed with it! I followed the Crashplan wiki page and also installed the mount_shares_locally script.

So for the files to backup I was able to select the share(s): [HDA --> mnt --> samba --> (Share Name)]. This is the correct place to point to, right? Now for the destination of the backup I was able to select the computer, which is good enough for me.

Now is it possible to also backup that computer to the HDA (create another backup set?)? When selecting file locations to backup, only the HDA comes up, not the C drive of the computer.

Essentially:

HDA backing up to PC 1
PC1 backing up to HDA

Hope this makes sense. Any help would be appreciated!

MeasureTech

Postby MeasureTech » Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:41 pm

I'm now using Crashplan to backup the HDA to one of of the PCs on the network and I use Macrium Reflect to backup (image) all the PCs on the network to the HDA. Works pretty well and I'm happy with it thus far!

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:10 am

Good to hear this works for you. Would you consider documenting this in the wiki? Would be useful for others in the community.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

MeasureTech

Postby MeasureTech » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:52 pm

Good to hear this works for you. Would you consider documenting this in the wiki? Would be useful for others in the community.
Sure, I'd be glad to. What specifically do you think would be beneficial to the community - using Macrium to create images of local PCs HDD to the server? And/or backing up the server using Crashplan? It seems Crashplan is pretty well documented, could use some more information though.

And..um..how do I update the Wiki?

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:20 am

Request a wiki account.
https://wiki.amahi.org

Once approved, you can edit the applicable area.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

MeasureTech

Postby MeasureTech » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:57 pm

Request a wiki account.
https://wiki.amahi.org

Once approved, you can edit the applicable area.
Thanks, I will get around to doing this.