TimeMachine possible 50gb limit

notsoold

TimeMachine possible 50gb limit

Postby notsoold » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:54 am

I cannot remember doing it but I think my amahi timemachine app has been set up with a 50gb limit.

I really need to increase this is this possible and how. If anyone can help it would be appreciated. (newbie)

notsoold

Re: TimeMachine possible 50gb limit

Postby notsoold » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:08 am

I see a little bit of interest unfortunately no advise.

I have just done a fresh install of amahi on my server so completely a fresh start. So nothing left over from any previous installs.

When I install Amahi Time machine it doesn't ask me for any restrictions on hard disk space. When I run time machine on MBP it says 46.6 gb of 47.9 gb available. I thought ATM would use all available space and may need restricting. I have around 1.7 tb space available. This is what I see when I look at the partitions so I assume the bottom one is a time machine partition. Albeit a slight mismatch.

/dev/sda1 190 MB 115 MB 60.3 MB (35%) /boot
/dev/sda2 1.74 TB 1.65 TB 67.7 MB (1%) /home
/dev/sda6 47.4 GB 43.5 GB 1.51 GB (4%) /

I really need around 450 gb allocating as I have 2 MBP's to backup each with around 128 gb for the initial backup. I assume nigh on another 200gb should be enough to keep both backups topped up for quite some time.

This is a fresh install with just ATM installed.

On the MPB I could reduce the size allocated but not increase.

I didn't have this trouble on a LG NAS drive it would indeed expand to the size of the disk space available.

Obviously new to the wonders of Linux.

notsoold

Postby notsoold » Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:06 am

Is there anyway I can reallocate some of the /home to / (windows would let me repartition, but it can't see the hda harddisk in disk management app)

Or do I need I have to do a fresh install and create a smaller /home partition. would this leave more space in / for time machine to create a bigger partition for it's self.

Not sure of implications of putting the hard disk in caddy and and repartitioning it with windows to see if that would work or would it mess up the hda harddisk.

Any advice appreciated.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:30 am

You could try resizing the partition. I would recommend you use gParted Live CD.
http://gparted.sourceforge.net/

That will allow you to boot the CD on your HDA machine and resize it without having to remove the drive.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

notsoold

Postby notsoold » Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:44 pm

Tried the partition program did the job of repartitioning however fedora wasn't to happy and refused to start so resorted to a fresh install to see where the / partition comes from and then I'll look to restarting from scratch again. By installing Amahi I had hoped to avoid all these restarts with linux but. Not least of all the time involved. Didn't know i needed ATM to do backups from a MBP so couldn't have been prepared for it in advance and created a partition for it in advance (which I think is the solution to my problem). Why on earth wouldn't AMT if it needed space take a portion from the home directory which in my case is more than ample.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:31 pm

Sorry to hear that did not work. What is MBP?

Amahi Time Machine can only use the resources it is pointed to for storage. There may have been other options, but I am not familiar with the app as I don't have any MAC systems.

This is something I have never heard of as a limitation. Not sure if the internet would have helped here.

This would be good guidance to add to the wiki once you have it sorted out. Would you be willing to do so? Other users would greatly benefit from your experiences.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

notsoold

Postby notsoold » Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:57 pm

Sorry for abreviation 'mac book pro'.

I first have to get a system working.

Finding the time will be a problem. I don't like being beaten, especially by a computer.

notsoold

Postby notsoold » Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:15 am

Can't even re-install a fresh install of Amahi. Why didn't amahi time machine give some options of where and how much space to allocate or least some better instructions. Perhaps then I would not have screwed my system up. Backups for 2 windows computers all gone still no backups on 2 macs. Perhaps Windows Home Server would have been a better bet.

Maybe it was partition program screwed it when I deleted all partitions hoping amahi installation would sort it out new ones. Will format again some day with windows.

Severely disappointed Colin.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:15 am

Don't understand why you can do a fresh install. The Express CD is designed to wipe the drive for you on install. If you have other drives attached, it's best to disconnect them prior to doing the install.

As for the issue with Time Machine, sorry I cannot help much here. I do not see many users with issues though, so might be something else that caused the problem.

You could do an Amahi install using the full DVD method as well if you are still interested. Sorry you are disappointed and have had issues. We see very few problems of this nature, so it would be good to document a solution if one is found.

Obviously you have to use what works best for you. Sometimes commercial products are better suited than open source ones. In any case, if you would like to work through this with Amahi I will try to help.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

andyfitter

Postby andyfitter » Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:39 am

Is this of any use?

https://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Amahi_Time_Machine

You can point the time machine backups to different path/partition/drive by changing the amahi config - It doesn't have to be the root partition.