Time Machine

weekendsrule33

Time Machine

Postby weekendsrule33 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:53 pm

Any way to use time machine?

bsk

Re: Time Machine

Postby bsk » Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:57 am

I have posted in the wiki about this, and will continue to update it as new ways come about.

The wiki page is http://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Backups ... me_Machine

I have not gotten this to work with a Mac computer (ie bought from Apple) but I have heard it works on Hackintosh (ie OS X on a PC).

If you find a better way please let me know and I will test it out and create a tutorial in the wiki as well.

A good solution ive found and use daily is SuperDuper!.

The link will take you to the wiki page which contains a tutorial on how to backup with it over the network.

I hope this helps.
Having problems with connecting to the internet? Try the Network Troubleshooter.

Not sure what your Gateway IP? Head on over to the Find Your Gateway IP page to find out easily.

moredruid
Expert

Postby moredruid » Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:42 am

the most reliable way with supported filesystems is using nfs I think.

I tried mounting a drive using the smb protocol (with the hack as described on the wiki) but that didn't go over too well with time machine, it can't write it's files (directory permissions are OK though).
Soon I'll get a Mac to play and test with.

I noted however that when you delete a samba share the directory itself is kept, is this default behaviour?
next to that, OS X 10.5 seems to have some issues with mounting SMB & NFS from the same server (for so far I've tested, but I could have made a mistake now that I think of it). Does anyone have some experience with this?
echo '16i[q]sa[ln0=aln100%Pln100/snlbx]sbA0D2173656C7572206968616D41snlbxq' | dc
Galileo - HP Proliant ML110 G6 quad core Xeon 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, 2x750GB RAID1 + 2x1TB RAID1 HDD

cpg
Administrator

Postby cpg » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:19 pm

when you delete a samba share the directory itself is kept, is this default behaviour?
yes, though we talk of removing the files too. not sure it's a great idea.
the shares manager should be messing with user files. maybe it should be an option.
OS X 10.5 seems to have some issues with mounting SMB & NFS from the same server (for so far I've tested, but I could have made a mistake now that I think of it)
i do it all the time. i will give you that os x does get confused periodically about this. not sure if it's nfs or samba or osx at fault here, though i strongly suspect osx.
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1