SImply backing up Greyhole / Samba Files to external HDD

DaNick

SImply backing up Greyhole / Samba Files to external HDD

Postby DaNick » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:33 am

Hi!

I searched around, but maybe this is just too simple :o

I am looking for an easy, convenient solution that can do an incremental backup all files in my Samba/Greyhole shares to an external harddisk (like the WHS v1 server backup).

Ideally, no encryption, no fuzz, so that I could attach it to any PC in case something went wrong.

Backup can be started on demand (or when the external HDD is turned on/ detected, if that is easy enough).

THX!

Nico
Last edited by DaNick on Tue May 28, 2013 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: SImply backing up Greyhole / Samba Files to external HDD

Postby bigfoot65 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:53 am

There is nothing currently in Amahi that is automated to do that task. You may need to find a 3rd party app.

You might look here for some help.

https://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Backups
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

KazarSoze

Postby KazarSoze » Tue May 14, 2013 11:27 am

DaNick,
Did you find anything that worked well? I am also a Linux newb switching over from WHS after many years. I had all my shares backing up to an external HD (I don't have that much data). I would really like to have the same thing under Amahi. I installed Crashplan and it backs it up but its compressed, encrypted and you can't recover it without going thru Crashplan. I would like to have it backup the shares just as flat files/dirs that way I can move them over to another machine or server should I need to recover or rebuild. Plus I wouldn't have to wipe my current backup HD to a new format or file structure.

I would like to do a differential backup once a week or so and be able to run it on a schedule.

I'm curious as to what you used.

Kazarsoze

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Tue May 14, 2013 1:23 pm

What I do for this scenario is use a backup program on my client. It is set to back up certain HDA shares to an external hard drive. The program I use is for Windows, called Create Synchronicity.

http://synchronicity.sourceforge.net/

You could also set a cron job on the HDA to back up to an external hard drive as well. This drive would have to be connected to the HDA to keep it simple.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

DaNick

Postby DaNick » Mon May 27, 2013 12:32 pm

Hi,

Sorry for responding late.

I managed to get it working with rsync, which I need to start manually, but it seems to work :)
The script mounts my eSata drive and copies files to the drive

I may still need to tweak the switches for rsync... but this was a solid start for me

BR Nico

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash mount UUID=c2b3323b-bd21-4a66-b541-xxxxxxxx /mnt/esata rsync -r -v -u -c --copy-links --delete --progress /var/hda/files/drives/drive1/Public /mnt/esata rsync -r -v -u -c --copy-links --delete --progress /var/hda/files/drives/drive1/Pictures /mnt/esata rsync -r -v -u -c --copy-links --delete --progress /var/hda/files/drives/drive1/Music /mnt/esata rsync -r -v -u -c --copy-links --delete --progress /var/hda/files/drives/drive1/Movies /mnt/esata rsync -r -v -u -c --copy-links --delete --progress /var/hda/files/drives/drive1/Movies /mnt/esata rsync -r -v -u -c --copy-links --delete --progress /var/hda/files/drives/drive5 /mnt/esata/TimeMachine

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon May 27, 2013 1:40 pm

Cool. You can set up a cron job and have it run those whenever you choose automatically.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

DaNick

Postby DaNick » Tue May 28, 2013 2:41 am

Hi

Cron may work, but I have to power on my external drive anyhow, so this is manual.

What could work is a cron job that starts when the drive is detected. However, the effort in setting that up would - for me - be higher than the gain.

BR Nico

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Tue May 28, 2013 4:44 am

I would think if you had a cron job set to run daily, it would do it when the drive is detected. Otherwise if it's not, it would just skip it or fail. In the case of a failure, it would just exit.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager