Clonezilla (alpha) TFTP open timeout

bobwdn

Clonezilla (alpha) TFTP open timeout

Postby bobwdn » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:27 am

I have been experimenting with Clonezilla on Ubuntu 12.04 (Yes, I know it's alpha) and appears to have loaded ok. When I try to boot a client, the client properly finds the DHCP server and acquires a client ip address and determines the DCHP server and gateway addresses. Then:

Code: Select all

PXE-E32: TFTP open timeout
When I Google search TFTP server on Ubuntu. Most sites discuss that TFTP is not loaded by default in Ubuntu (12.04). One site I found suggested that ufw could be blocking the port. So I checked:

administrator@amahi01:~$ sudo ufw status [sudo] password for administrator: Status: inactive
So it's not ufw.

Finally I Googled Ubuntu TFTP install and the Ubuntu 12.04 installation guide page regarding TFTP enablement suggests that

...tftpd-hpa by default uses /var/lib/tftpboot...
and there is no entry like that in my Amahi Ubuntu server.

I have conclude that it appears that the Clonezilla install did not install tftp as a dependency.

As Amahi is a new "creature" to me, I am concerned whether I should install TFTP from the Ubuntu repositories or will I break something that Amahi doing? What does the forum think?

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Clonezilla (alpha) TFTP open timeout

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:53 am

The Amahi Clonezilla app will not work with Ubuntu. We have not sorted out the PXE server setup as of yet. Installing it does not install that piece or all the Clonezilla pieces correctly.

Your best option at the moment is to boot Live CD and point to the Samba shares on your HDA. Once we get it set up, we will be sure to make some noise.

If you want to play with it, you can try installing the pieces prior to the app as you stated. I would ask that you document it in the wiki if you get it to work.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

roemerx

Postby roemerx » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:35 am

Hi,
got my amahi up and running about 2 months ago and since then i've been just trying put a hell lot of stuff... just love all the things you can do ... and especially the forums :)

Now i finally got the pxe server running ...
i'm not quite sure which of the steps i tried out is the one that finally got "E32-Error"go away ;) Well the error actually means that the server isn't running ... (you won't find a port with nmap when it works)...

first of all i downloaded the netboot rpm file and installed it ...

what i did next was to change the /etc/default/tftpd-hpa file like they tell you here http://wiki.ubuntuusers.de/PXE-Installation ... the way it is right now is for the old version pre ubuntu 10 ...

so now the file looks like this

TFTP_USERNAME="tftp" TFTP_DIRECTORY="/usr/share/amahi-netboot/tftp" TFTP_ADDRESS="0.0.0.0:69" TFTP_OPTIONS="-l -s"
... maybe it's already working now after a reboot ... if not the thing i did next was to delete tftp (dpkg -r tftp) ... afterwars i deleted the package you need dpkg -r tftpd-hpa ... installed it again (apt-get install tftpd-hpa) ...

i hope that works for you too ...

ah one thing to find out if the tftp server is running is to enter ps -ax |grep tftp
it should return sth like /usr/sbin/in.tftpd ...

Hope that helped...

Have fun ;)
Philipp

edit:
@bobwdn if you install anything use tftpd-hpa ... not just the tftp ...

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:44 am

We have an app that sets up the PE server for Ubuntu. A user packaged it, but it has not been tested.

http://forums.amahi.org/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=4233

Once it is stable, we can make it available to the community. This will also affect the netboot apps such as Clonezilla, Redo Backup, etc. They are all still in alpha, but would start to move through the testing process once this piece is finalized.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

roemerx

Postby roemerx » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:30 am

Thanks on the heads up ... too bad i didn't see it earlier ...

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:50 am

Yes knowing is always nice. The alpha app is programmed to use amahi-netboot for Fedora. We can do the same for Ubuntu, but was waiting for it to be tested to ensure it worked.

Honestly you are not saving much effort by not using the Live CD. You still have to reboot the client to access Clonezilla and provide the options for what to do and where it will be stored. Saves a few key strokes, but not many.

I found it easier to use the Live CD myself. Plus when a new version is released, I only have to burn a CD vs uninstalling and reinstalling the app. The Live CD works well with samba with the app and without.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager