Backup Amahi-partition?

amahiuser1

Backup Amahi-partition?

Postby amahiuser1 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:41 am

Not sure whether this goes here or to 'Ubuntu'. Please move the thread if I chose wrongly.

Currently I'm using Ubuntu 12.04 Server 32bit with Amahi von a 60GB ext4 partition. I would like to back-up my amahi installation so I can experiment with the server without having to set-up anything again.

I'm aware of dd but that would copy the full 60G (of which only about 3 are used), wouldn't it?
Partimage doesn't seem to play nice with ext4.

I'd like to employ some well-known tool that is easily available on any linux live cd and can incrementally back-up my boot and system partitions via script and while the system is running. It also wouldn't hurt if it were uncomplicated to use.

So what do you guys use?
Last edited by amahiuser1 on Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Backup Amahi-partition?

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:52 am

Clonezilla is a good back up solution for the OS/Amahi. I use it in case I have problems and have restored my OS drive many times without fail.

http://clonezilla.org/

As for just backing up files, there are many options. Amahi is integrated with the OS, so a full backup is best so that you can restore it all. There are many moving parts, so no magic list of what to save.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

amahiuser1

Re: Backup Amahi-partition?

Postby amahiuser1 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:39 am

Clonezilla
Thanks, I'll look into that!
Limitations:
The destination partition must be equal or larger than the source one.
Differential/incremental backup is not implemented yet.
Edit: Sounds like clonezilla produces a 60G image for a 60G partition regardless of usage?
Anyway - since it does not support incremental backups clonezilla's out. Any other suggestions?
As for just backing up files [...]
No need for that. I can spare 10-20G for backups and I don't want to worry about missing any files or running into problems while restoring.