Crashplan install / VNC

Furry

Crashplan install / VNC

Postby Furry » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:09 pm

This is not only a 'backup'-related issue, but (instead?) a VNC one...

Having just done the one-click install of CrashPlan, I now apparently need a hda desktop to complete the install. I run my Amahi server headless - or at least x-desktop-less (I've only ever used a basic 'command' terminal, either locally or via putty).

I just could not get putty and Xming to produce a desktop on my W7 PC (Xming seemed to think all was well, but no sign of a desktop), so I decided to try VNC instead.

Having installed Amahi VNC on the hda, and a vnc client on my W7 PC, I can now connect to the hda via VNC. However, I receive only a blank, black screen.

I'm not sure if I even have 'x' capability on the hda - would this have been installed / be running normally, or could I have omitted to install this somehow, when I installed Amahi? (I can't remember what options there were).

Pointers about what to do next welcome.

TIA.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Crashplan install / VNC

Postby bigfoot65 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:06 pm

Recommend you check the app install log to see if VNC installed correctly. It is in /var/log directory. Also, did you follow the special instructions after installing the VNC app?
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

Furry

Postby Furry » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:14 am

Thanks, I'll take a look at the log.

I didn't do anything other than the one-click install, because the wiki states that there are two ways to install - either one-click or manual. It then goes on to give 3 methods for the manual install. It doesn't suggest that any of these manual methods, or any elements of them, relate also to the one-click install way. So, I didn't look any further at those methods.

If there are more things that I need to do, after the one-click, then the wiki could be a lot clearer about this - what special instructions are you referring to?

The wiki page also states, at the top of the page, that there is a one-click app, i.e. the 'VNC for Amahi' with the binoculars symbol - the one that I've installed. This is rather 'circular', because this wiki page is itself linked from that app's page.

Anyway, I'll take a closer look at the VNC settings as you suggest.

Furry

Postby Furry » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:17 am

Referring to the manual methods, I made just one change (the 'twm &' line in xstartup), which has made no difference. All other items in the manual methods either reflect existing setup, or don't appear relevant.

I then re-tried the putty/Xming approach and it worked. I can now obtain the Crashplan window for the hda on my W7 PC.

I have no idea why it now works, but didn't yesterday. W7 PC has been to sleep since then, but not rebooted.

Still no VNC though...

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:20 am

No, I am not referring to the wiki page. Many of the one-click apps have special instructions listed after you install. Go to the Apps page in your dashboard, select Installed and expand the VNC app. You will see the instructions there on how to log in, change the password, and the resolution if needed.

Recommend you undo whatever you did from the wiki and follow those guidelines. It should work after that is done. Also, did you look at the log? Did it show any errors?
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

Furry

Postby Furry » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:47 am

Yes, I did check the log, /var/log/amahi-app-installer.log:

App: VNC installed
====== app install end @ [date & time]

Also, I had actually read the special instructions for the VNC app (sorry, I'd forgotten that that was what they were called, and I then assumed you were referring to something more); I did (do) use hda:4 as the host:display, and the password stated. I have no need (at this time) to change the resolution or the password (maybe if I get VNC working, I might). I'm also not interested, at this stage, in conserving resources. That's all the special instructions say.

To clarify - the VNC server is running (and I'm able to successfully restart it), and I'm able to log in from my W7 PC, using TightVNC viewer (or UltraVNC viewer), but I receive just a blank, black screen.

I have undone the change I did (described above); no change.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:26 pm

Once you connect with VNC, try clicking with the mouse or hitting the escape key. What happens to mine is the screen locks after a period of time. When I do that, I get prompted to enter a password to unlock it. I then see my desktop. Maybe you have a similar problem and that is why you only see the black screen.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager